multimedia

Document lost on smb server

when working on an smb server ( connected with cmd+K smb://<same_NW_server-IP-addr>)
i can work but after a few time ( 30 min or so )
when i want to save it,
( althought the network disk is still connected )
Affinity-designer tells me the document is lost and will now close the document.

- All the work i have done since last successfull save are lost...

When i try to reopen the document, Affinity-designer tells me it can't open it because it's open in another application ( file is locked )

- I have to quit Affinity designer; disconect the NW-share;
reconnect NW-share; reopen Affinity-Designer, re-poen the document; redo unsaved things;
until next unsuccessfull save...

( It is very anoying since the application doesn't ask to save it somewere else and just closes the document )

DIRTY WORKAROUND
- In order to avoid this, i have to copy the document in a local place ( on my computer )
- make my changes
- copy it back to the server

PS: i don't have the same problems with abny of other applications ( ex: libre Office / Adobe Premiere / ffmpeg etc... )

Hi multimedia,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This happens because Affinity doesn't load the whole file to memory (for performance reasons) and so when the connection is lost for some reason we aren't able to load/save data to it and close the document. For the same reason the file cannot be saved to somewhere else (not all data in memory). We advise to copy the file to an internal drive and work from there as you have done. Working directly from external drives/NAS or synchronised cloud folders may lead to data loss as you were experiencing.

Hi MEB,
Thank you for your answer and explanation.

What you have indicated is my workaround....
can it be possible that, in order to know on which document i am working on,
to indicate the path of my document in the window title ?

Kind regards and thank you for this software !!!

30 minutes ago, multimedia said:

indicate the path of my document in the window title ?

@MEB Could we have an option in the Preferences? That would be great.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.x.x

My bad, I mistyped MEB, too early but I did catch it as soon as I posted so I immediately edited the post.

5 minutes ago, M D P said:

Why is there a notification for me that says I was mentioned here by @Old Bruce ?!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.x.x

I am trying to do my best to work with this limitation...
but copying the file into local repository and moving back to server is not an option.

Is there any way/option i can choose in order to load the whole file into memory ?

You will need 1.7 for this.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi Ben, thanks you for the reply.

As for now ( 15.04.2019 ) 1.6.5 is currently the newest version for Mac,
I will have to wait patiently...

Many thanks for your reply and your consideration regarding this.
Have a nice day