You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.7.0.284] Explorer and Asset Dragging

Evening,

Thanks for the new AD Beta (as title). 

Been testing (playing around!) with the drag and drop capability of the assets Panel.. Overall it is working OK...but I have had a couple of issues importing files

1. Create New file (just for something to import)

2. Open Assets Panel + create new asset area

3. Test file dragged from browser window
OK..

A few experiments (not normal working practice for assets panel)

1.Old files

Take old 1.5 file and just drag it to panel (as you can import objects from earlier versions)

I am aware of the code change between 1.5-6/1.7 So I was sort of expecting this test to fail.. and it did.

Normally I wouldn't attempt to add complex large files into the assets folders...but was interested to see what the consequences would be..so tried a few experiments

There is no warning stating it's not advisable like there is in opening older 1.6 files into 1.7 AD.  App attempts to complete task...failed completely on first attempt..AD Crashed (closed without any warning..whoops!)..

Reboot. try again..worked but when file dragged from assets to 1.7 new file the artwork is well... destroyed

2.Export as new 1.7 file
a.Open File (1.6) as copy and save as 1.7.
b.Create new file (included an artboard)...no change to other settings
c. Open assets panel (set a new category)....not nec. as should have from test 1
d. Drag to 1.7 file conversion to Assets panel.

This worked initially ..no crashes But..
e. When 'pulling asset' back to 1.7 Open file. The Original file (1.5/6) had an artboard..The artboard and graphic get pulled onto page.So the consequences are that  in the Layers panel the imported asset appears as a group with the artboard nested inside.

Works fine until you go into the Layers Panel and try to delete the asset/group (including artboard) from the page/file..It can be deleted but leaves behind an artefact of the artboard...Which I couldn't remove without closing the file

3. OK!..Delete the artboard
a. Open converted file and delete artboard. re-save under new filename
b. Drag this file into assets...works fine.. (even though complex!)

4. Opened and converted a couple of other files...A4 and complex (combined raster and vector)...something I wouldn't get into the habit of doing....
a. Again instant crash....Noticed that when you reboot the asset is actually in the panel.

Summary
1. Could do with a warning stating not a good idea for older files:)!..or large complex files!
2. If drag large file/lots of objects can get a very small asset icon
3. Some files containing artboards pulled in from asset folder can cause artefacts in the file
4. Dragging older files into asset panel can crash without warning
5. Converted files i.e opened as copy then dragged into assets panel can also crash the app

I have attached the old files....little beast!

Old test files.zip

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

• Staff

Hi @StuartRc,

I've been testing this and i could make it crash. So:

Summary
1. Could do with a warning stating not a good idea for older files:)!..or large complex files!
You do not get a notification when you open an older file. You only get the message in 1.7 because it's a beta

2. If drag large file/lots of objects can get a very small asset icon
True, but this is only because you have included an artboard in your asset. Therefore, the icon is scaled to fit the artboard and not its contents. 

3. Some files containing artboards pulled in from asset folder can cause artefacts in the file
The artefacts seem to go away if you zoom in/out. I will log this for further investigations

4. Dragging older files into asset panel can crash without warning
5. Converted files i.e opened as copy then dragged into assets panel can also crash the app

Any chance you can send us a screen recording or steps to replicate it?

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hi, 

Thanks for getting back to me....It is a really useful addition to the functionality of the assets panel...but there are definitely still a few glitches.

Note 1
Yep understand that ...but the files do get destroyed in the attempt!

Note 2
That was just me making a note of the effects (as I was trying to see what was causing the artefacts on the screen)

Note 4/5
Sure no problem...I have made a video of the crashing event as attached

1. You cannot see it as it's on the second screen..I pulled a few extra files from the same series (2 years old now! and have the same kind of layout) into a folder and followed the same procedure. So just dragging the file () onto the assets panel causes the AD 1.7 to fold. 

2, Recorded the screen events to the point of crashing. (last few frames)..but deleted the closing of app (as it exposes all the crap on my windows desktop!:))..but at the end of the video AD just folds.

3. Strangely I did notice last week that if you repeat the process with the same file .....it might not collapse the app...but struggles like before to add it to the assets panel.

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

Yep sure..As attached

Export_03.zip

When you reboot..The asset object is visible but when you attempt to add to file (i.e drag from assets to page/current file) its  a bit messy...I wasn't really expecting it to work as as it was built in an older version and quite large...but it does expose the beta version to crashing. Attached an image of the result....O.o

resulting image from assets.JPG

23 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Thanks. This one crashed Designer and I have logged this with our developers. 

Again... thanks for picking it up...

I tested the same routine with 1.65 AD vectors (much more recent! and elements had already been in assets panel/and in resources on forum!).. and without any raster content in layers

This worked really well...it's not all bad news:)

and dragging in 25mb 'full page' files is something I would not normally do myself....but it was worth seeing how AD would respond

On 4/4/2019 at 10:24 AM, rubs said:

...and the search is fast now. Finally!

Oops, spoke before checking out a large asset collection. Nope, the search performance is still sluggish, e.g. in the Material Design Icons collection.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.