You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a date for Publisher going gold/launch?

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

Funnily enough, I thought of that one too! It could even be Williamina, although (like Davidina) it’s probably not very common outside of Scotland.

Ah, I had never known of the name Williamina, so I had not considered that.

If it is Scottish, someone could have moved to elsewhere! :-)

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I have recently come back to this thread and now, having had a few fun posts, back to the analysis.

I have made a test font, installed it on my computer, and produced a PDF using PagePlus X7.

I then tried reading the PDF into Affinity Publisher, and it worked well.

I then deleted the font from the Fonts directory and tried again. Utter chaos!

However when I tried again choosing to substitute a font from the same collection, though not the one from which the test font was derived, it works fine.

Here is a link to the font that I used as the substitute font.

www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/SONNETRL.TTF

Perfectly legal to download and use it as it is my font and I give you permission to do so.

The observable difference from the font used in the PDF is the lowercase letter 'w' so that is a good test. The metrics are the same.

Can anyone get sensible text by importing the PDF with some other unrelated font used as the substitute font?

I still have the font in another folder.

Here is the PDF.

William

test_publication_20190329_Friday.pdf

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I put the above in the wrong thread. I am now trying to copy and paste it to the correct thread, but have not been able to copy it off the page for some reason.

Any ideas please?

William

1 minute ago, William Overington said:

I put the above in the wrong thread. I am now trying to copy and paste it to the correct thread, but have not been able to copy it off the page for some reason.

Any ideas please?

William

You should be able to edit your post, select the contents, copy, and then paste into another post.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You should be able to edit your post, select the contents, copy, and then paste into another post.

Ah, I was trying to copy it off the page. First opening the edit facility helped.

Eventually I got it into the other thread.

After several unsuccessful tries I found that using right click, then 'Select all' and then pasting to WordPad and then copying form there to the other thread did the job, though I did need to break it into paragraphs. But it got there and I hope that it is of interest.

I tried to add a Thank you symbol but I have found that I had used up my allocation for today some time ago!

Thank you.

William

11 hours ago, Guyon said:

I am VERY  hopeful that we get Epub soon.

I would be surprised if epub shows up before 1.7.1, and not particularly surprised if it was not there by 1.8.

Generating reflowable epub from a page layout program is likely to be very non-trivial, and fixed-layout epub is easy to convert to from pdf using various free utilities that are out there, so while I do expect they will eventually support at least fixed-layout epub as an export format, I think they have bigger fish to fry right now.