You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy selected part of image?

Hi There.  I'm using Designer on Win 10.  I have a large PNG image that is a grid of 22x22 pixel icon images.  I have the grid open in Designer, and I'd like to select one of the 22x22 pix "sub images" and copy (or duplicate) it and then paste it to another location in the same file.  I'm able to sometimes do this, but other times the cut/copy/Duplicate commands are grayed out.  The times that I've gotten it to work, what I've done is 

1. Go to Pixel Persona
2. Use Rectangle Marque Tool and select part of image.
3. Go to Draw Persona
4. Select Move Tool
5. Then Edit > Copy, Edit > Paste, and drag to a new location.  

As I indicated though, often the selection cannot be copied.   ...Any idea what I'm doing wrong, or where this may be covered in the help?  

There is no need to switch Personas if the whole is a bitmap, just stay in the Pixel persona and perform the tasks from there, the move tool is also there in the Pixel Persona. - For the selection copy/paste make just sure the layer to copy from is selected/highlighted in the layer panel, then a copy/paste should be usually possible. A paste will create here a new layer of the copied portion and the active layer highlight will move to that in the layers panel (that one will now be the active layer). Also you might want to dismiss the selection rectangle after copying a selection with (Ctrl/Cmd D) in order have no blockings.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2