You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hide Outside of Margins in View/Export

I have a document for print for which there will be some bleed outside the boundaries of the printed product.

I'm not sure what the "proper" was of doing this is and have added a "margin" outside of the dimensions of the final print/cut sign.

972896041_ScreenShot2019-03-28at5_27_00PM.thumb.png.96ac94691c174c8eb98774dcff3cc838.png

What I'm not sure about is how to View and/or Export the document without the bleed.

16 minutes ago, mikeill said:

I have a document for print for which there will be some bleed outside the boundaries of the printed product.

I'm not sure what the "proper" was of doing this is and have added a "margin" outside of the dimensions of the final print/cut sign.

What I'm not sure about is how to View and/or Export the document without the bleed.

I am assuming this will be a PDF. If so, when exporting and you do not want bleed, then uncheck the option to include bleed and make sure the printer's marks check box is not checked.

By "margin," what exactly do you mean? In the document setup, you need to add a bleed amount, which is typically 3mm or 0.125" depending on where it will be printed.

However, for the version that will actually be printed, you need the bleed area. So make sure to include it for the PDF that will be printed.

Mike

Ah. Bleed. Yes. I see it. I supposed it will be a PDF. Not sure yet. It's for a 30 foot by 6 foot sign (excuse the empirical measurements).

So I don't need a margin at all. 

I think that solves my problem.

On a different similar note, if I wanted to mask multiple layers with one shape, is that fairly simple?

Have you spoken with (phone or email) with the establishment that will be printing this yet? You should if you have not already.

OK. you will likely have some technical challenges at 360 inches in length. The most painless manner is to use a scale even though your are using ADesigner or APub that will happily make something of that length. The PDF standard is limited to PDFs at 200" in the longest dimension. So I would recommend doing it to half scale. But you need to communicate clearly that the print establishment knows to scale the PDF upwards.

There are typically different requirements for large format work such as this. I also don't know what type of signage you mean...whether it is solid for insertion into a frame and back-lit or hung signage.

Depending whether it will have grommet holes, folded and stitched, etc. This will affect the bleed amount--which you need because from the design sample above there is color all the way to the edge. This applies to all signage. You should also ask them about the safe area. The safe area is a distance to the finished edges that are not intended to bleed that other elements can be positioned to, but no further.

Typically, most all the banners I've done (separate from booth banners or back-lit signage), which are different yet) that are hung in some fashion require folding, stitching and grommets. Depending upon the material it is made from, this affects how much bleed outside the document (or added to document measurements and then no document bleed).

As to masking into a shape, that is simple enough. Select and drag all the elements you want to be masked/contained to the shape under it so that the blue highlight is indented, and then release the mouse button.

Mike

(PS, I speak empirical and metric, but am American by birth)

Oh, a PS. 

Most of the large format work I've had done [the print establishments] use CorelDraw to open client PDFs and print with that. Make sure to click the More button and uncheck the use advanced features checkbox. 

Edited to clarify. Addition is between square brackets.