You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I turn this rope part into a brush?

I'm quite new to Affinity Designer and also new to the concept of brushes in giving line drawings a 'pattern'.

I need to draw a curvy piece of rope and I think (but I'm not sure) that creating a vector brush is the way to go.
I've found this rope piece (SVG) on the internet and I am wondering how I should turn this into a brush that I can use for my drawing.

rope-piece.svgrope-piece.svg

rope-piece.png

Is it possible to create a brush from vector parts or does it HAVE to be based upon a bitmap as demonstrated in a couple of video's?

Edited by StephanP
repositioning the images

• Staff

Hi StephanP,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The source must be a raster image (transparent PNG). The basic process requires you to import the SVG to the canvas of your document, set the size you want - ideally you would want to create a high-res source image - so enlarge the svg object until you have a width of 1024 or more (up to you) using the Transform panel. Then with the object still selected go to menu File ▸ Export and select PNG. Set the Area dropdown there to Selection without background and export the file to be used as the source image. 

To create the brush go to the Brushes panel and select New Textured Image Brush, pick the PNG image you exported and the brush should appear at the end of the list  of the category currently selected in the top of the Brushes panel. Double-click the newly created brush to edit it and set it to Repeat. Adjust the Head and Tail Offset (redlines in the bottom section) and loom at the preview on top. Ideally both end sides of the source image must match so they can be perfectly aligned.

Its not very well done actually, the ends don't line up.

649211531_ScreenShot2019-03-28at22_39_19.png.781ef3b47596f37587648260bc2540d1.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Its not very well done actually, the ends don't line up.

Right. I guess I need to look further.

Meanwhile I've run into this piece of rope that does a pretty good job when turned into a brush.
But it doesn't do well taking sharp bends. Possibly because of its relative length.
Maybe I should try and trim it?

Rope-01.png.f9e690adeb65d38a300729acb1e5979a.png

Nice one @StephanP and it looks more like rope ;-)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 1 year later...

@Artcraft Technically these “vector" brushes are hybrid raster/vector brushes, not a true vector brush so raster images on a vector curve.