You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HSL doesn't work in beta 1.7.0.284

Mine is working but I am on Windows 10 x64

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

7 hours ago, Rick G said:

Mine is working but I am on Windows 10 x64 

I can confirm this.

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

• Staff

Hi dke,

It is working for me too on Windows 10 x64. I'm just waiting to get access to a Windows 7 machine/VM.

It might be image specific so would you mind trying some different images from different cameras (if possible) and maybe attach the image you tried.

I tried different images (jpg and tiff) from different cameras and softwares. The problem is not image specific. As soon as I try to use HSL beta 1.7.0.284 freezes and doesn't respond. Even when I develop a raw image in beta 1.7.0.284 and click on HSL afterwards AP freezes. 

Edited by dke
additional information

• Staff

We've just tried this on Windows 7 using the sample images and cannot reproduce it. 

Did this happen in a previous version of the beta or do you think this is a new issue to build 284? 

Would you be able to create a dump file and upload it to this private Dropbox folder?

Uninstalling and new installing of beta 1.7.0. 284 didn't solve the problem.

I have uploaded a dump.

The betas 1.7.0.256 and 1.7.0.258 didn't work with files from my D7200. So I don't know wether 

the HSL problem is new in beta *.284.  Beta *.251 worked for me (HSL included). 

Regards, dke

Edited by dke
additional information

I've had the same. Load image. HSL. Freeze, crash.

Win10, latest update. Beta 258.

I've tried repeating (it repeats), rebooting the PC and using different images. Same effect. Other adjustments work ok.

Yet I've got 258 on my Microsoft Surface and it works fine!

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• Staff

Is this an HSL effect applied from scratch, or loading a document that already had one applied and adjusting it (or both)?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

21 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Is this an HSL effect applied from scratch, or loading a document that already had one applied and adjusting it (or both)?

From scratch. Load jpg (I've tried several). Apply HSL. Adjustment box doesn't even come up. Freeze then crash the moment you click HSL.

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

... I also just tried doing a reinstall (checking 'Repair'). Same effect.

Dave Straker

• Staff

Confirmed, thanks.

I will get this reported to the developers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

And now I cannot get it to happen again :-/ .... a full recipe is eluding me, which often means uninitialised memory.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

Could the people who are having this problem please tell me how many screens they have attached to the PC, and what DPI they are running. Thanks

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Two screens. Top screen is Philips 40" 4k, 3840 x 2160. Bottom screen is Benq 18122 21" 1920 x 1080.

Aha. Tried it on top screen and HSL works ok. Tried it on bottom screen. HSL adjustment box appears on top window. Dragging it down to bottom window and crash happens just as I'm dragging it in!

Dave Straker

• Staff

Ha, thought so. DPI used for each screen please

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Where would I find DPI, @Patrick Connor? No indication in display adaptor properties as below. Can you calculate from screen size and resolution as previous message? (Note: Philips display has 'Scale and Layout' at 150%, while Benq is at 100%.

image.thumb.png.0702be958719cc4931564b8cdb82ec5f.png

Dave Straker

40 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Could the people who are having this problem please tell me how many screens they have attached to the PC, and what DPI they are running. Thanks

Congrats Patrick. It seems that you have found the reason for the problems.

When I set DPI to the standard setting of 100% HSL is working.

I need a higher setting for my old eyes. If Windows allows me a setting of 120% then Affinity Photo should of course do that too.

Regards, dke

15 hours ago, dke said:

Thanks, dke. This indicates that I've posted enough info for the Affinity folks to calculate the DPI as described.

The 'Scale and Layout' percentage control seems to be used to control layout and text, to help programmers scale boxes and text to usable and readable sizes, though quite rightly they do not change screen resolution, allowing images to take advantage of the underlying screen resolution. I guess it doesn't help that the Scale and Layout info is a bit vague where says 'text, apps and other items', without indicating what those 'other items' might be or what might be done.

Dave Straker

Windows 10 - AP 1.7.0.284  two screens, laptop asus and second 24" monitor BENQ  with AP on it
Bij tikken op de HSL-laag in aanpassingen, wordt het programma gesloten. Ik kan alleen het beeld recupereren door 'het bestand opnieuw vast te houden'.

A nice picture doesn't have to be a 'technical good' one, but 'different' from all other ones.

Mother earth is a source of life, not a resource.

www.pixeldude.be

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.