You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Don't make your portfolio in Affinity Publisher :( , corrupt file in 1.7.0.283 and the last version. Help would be amazing

Hi guys

I've been happily using Publisher for the last few months, finding it such a delight and so fast that I've completely forgotten it was a Beta and I've started to work on important documents on it. One of those is my portfolio, which just happens to be due for submission to my university graduation show tomorrow.

I experienced a crash a few hours ago in the previous version of Publisher (sorry I can't remember the version no.) while I was clicking into a text box. The file wouldn't open after the crash so I updated to the latest version, but still no joy. I've also tried to open it in the latest version on Windows. 

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could open this file? Or does anyone have a version of Photo or Designer that can open afpub files and would be happy to help me. I'm at my wits end, I can't go back to Indesign and redo everything! :(

Thanks all 

Portfolio.afpub

14 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Hi,

I've attached a recovered version of your document. I hope it helps. Note I've had to remove the command history ('Save History with Document').

Portfolio2.afpub

Morning Adam, I've downloaded it and it opens fine. Thanks so much for recovering it, really didn't expect it to be fixed in time much less by someone on the dev team. Have a good day! 

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2019 at 8:04 AM, AdamW said:

Hi,

I've attached a recovered version of your document. I hope it helps. Note I've had to remove the command history ('Save History with Document').

Portfolio2.afpub

HELP please

Can you help me please?  I have just lost several days' work on a file, despite regular saves. I was carrying out a copy/paste operation of matter with the file, when AffPublisher  crashed and has taken several days' work on the file.....ie work from the last days is now missing.   A substantial number of hours work gone !!

Most grateful if anyone can help, please.

__text_pages_1-36_(original).afpub

MacOS 10.14.5  –  MBP   –  16Gb DDR  –  500Gb Crucial SSD

Affinity Publisher (beta)   Affinity Designer   Affinity Photo

25 minutes ago, Seadog said:

I have just lost several days' work on a file, despite regular saves.

You shouldn’t have lost “several days’ work” unless “regular saves” have been regularly once every few days! What is your workflow?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks but I do save regularly, counted in minutes, not days or even hours. I'd still be grateful of constructive help from anyone who can help recover extensive amount of work now missing.  

Can AdamW (moderators) intervene as with jtylrr similar loss recently?

Regards

1 hour ago, Seadog said:

Thanks but I do save regularly, counted in minutes, not days or even hours.

In that case, I’m afraid I don’t understand why you can’t simply go back to your last good save from a few hours (or minutes!) earlier. I hope @AdamW can help.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

I’m afraid I don’t understand why you can’t simply go back to your last good save from a few hours (or minutes!) earlier.

Maybe he saved over it with a file that is now corrupt?

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

Maybe he saved over it with a file that is now corrupt?

Then he could go to his minutely backup right before that save action?

I'd rather like to know what AdamW did what we don't know how to do ;)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

fde101, you are right, sorry. – I am meanwhile used to local snapshots of macOS' timemachine that for me "saving" is close to "backup".

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Hi Seadog,

Re: __text_pages_1-36_(original).afpub

I'm afraid I can't recover anything from this file, either the internal tables are corrupt or the file is missing a significant amount of data from the end. I'll pass a link to this thread to one of my colleagues who is very knowledgeable about our internal file structure, but I am expecting him to come to the same conclusions as me.

AdamW, THANK YOU for trying to recover this file. I appreciate your help.

Having thought about this crash event more and having read some other threads here, I see some similar occurences and indeed I too have experienced earlier crashes with AffPublisher Beta but never a crash which has corrupted a file in this way – all file content data was previously there in the re-opened file, across my earlier crashes

What I'm saying is that the common denominator covering my AffPub crashes and some experiences of others is that attempting to paste something copied either from within the same document file or from a third party application into an AffPub page which has NO TEXT LAYER present causes AffPub to crash in the way I have experienced.  This is almost always, for me, done accidentally/ unwittingly as, in haste, I miss seeing whether the page being pasted into has the necessary text layer/box present. Am I the only one who mistakes other guides for content boxes, on AffPub pages ?

As said, this event was the only time out of several such AffPublisher program crashes where I actually lost data from within the working file. As the very next thing to pop onto my screen within seconds after re-opening the working file (and quickly realising pages of losses!!) this last time, was a New Beta Version Downlaod alert. I now wonder whether the COINCIDENCE of a new software version coming at almost the same instant as the crash, resulted in the loss of data/corrupted file?

Thanks for any positive responses I have received over the last 24 hrs.

• Staff

I can confirm that the file is unrecoverable.   There is too much data missing.

Could you give me a bit of information about your setup?  OS, where you are saving your files, etc.  Thanks.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Thanks for trying Ben.  (Note, the majority of pages in the 36-page document were NOT populated with content at the crash, however enough data/work went adrift to cause me to seek recovery help from you guys).

Working with MacOS 10.14.4 on MacBook Pro with 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 internal memory. Saving to 

Crucial_CT525MX300SSD1 525.11GB internal solid state drive.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.