You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone, 

I am quite new with Publisher, maybe you have discussed this topic...

I am making an art catalogue, with 150 pages up til now... All my pictures are linked within the document, but my affinity file is more then 4 GB!
Is this normal? Or I f**ked up some basic settings? 

It has to be 192 Dpi, with 1920ptx1080pt page size for a big touchscreen...Seems a bit big considering everything is linked... 

You didn't mess up anything. 

There really isn't a difference between linked and embedded images as far as file size goes because there is a full copy of the image even when linked. 

It's a poor design decision on Serif's part. Hopefully this gets rectified before release. 

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

It's a poor design decision on Serif's part. Hopefully this gets rectified before release. 

It's a design decision? So far, I thought it was a code bug, and I just have to wait a little until the problem is solved :35_thinking:

Thank you guys!

I'm relieved it's not me... :7_sweat_smile:

I use Designer and Photo for a while now, I have my trust in Serif, probably they will sort this thing out, otherwise there is no real sense in having this linked option at all, and I'm sure they aware of it. 

3 hours ago, Zoli1989 said:

otherwise there is no real sense in having this linked option at all

It does have the benefit of being able to monitor for changes in the original document and automatically sync to those changes.

I think it would be better labelled as "tracked" or "monitored" rather than "linked" and I think both behaviors are useful.

The benefit of the current behavior is that you can work with the file locally and have external changes synced into the file but then send a copy of that file to another computer which might not have all of the external files and still have everything self-contained.

I think in the end there could be three options: embedded (current embedded behavior), tracked/monitored (current "linked" behavior), and linked (store at most a thumbnail in the afpub file, with the actual data being retrieved completely from the external file).

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

It does have the benefit of being able to monitor for changes in the original document and automatically sync to those changes.

I think it would be better labelled as "tracked" or "monitored" rather than "linked" and I think both behaviors are useful.

The benefit of the current behavior is that you can work with the file locally and have external changes synced into the file but then send a copy of that file to another computer which might not have all of the external files and still have everything self-contained.

I think in the end there could be three options: embedded (current embedded behavior), tracked/monitored (current "linked" behavior), and linked (store at most a thumbnail in the afpub file, with the actual data being retrieved completely from the external file).

You are right, I didn't think about this. Actually I already had to use this feature, to locate and re-sync a picture. 

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

I think in the end there could be three options ...

I wouldn't mind three variations. I'm afraid, however, that for many convenient users this unnecessarily increases the complexity.
Maybe the whole indecision is related to the future integration of the other personas.

2 minutes ago, Michail said:

I wouldn't mind three variations. I'm afraid, however, that for many convenient users this unnecessarily increases the complexity.

If this could be set as a default in "Preferences", or when creating a new doc, I don't think most people would find it any more complicated than many other settings.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

19 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

If this could be set as a default in "Preferences", or when creating a new doc, I don't think most people would find it any more complicated than many other settings.

But then the standard should be a real referencing, which could possibly lead to difficulties with the other personas. You would be forced to show a decision dialog when switching.

27 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

If this could be set as a default in "Preferences", or when creating a new doc

There is already an option when creating a new document: "Prefer Embedded" or "Prefer Linked" - this would simply be expanded with a third choice of "Prefer Tracked".

Images could continue to be switched among the options using Resource Manager for all intents and purposes the same way they are right now.