You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Incompatibilities between PC and MAC afpub files

• Staff

@scuddriver

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

This is not a known issue, and you have not given us much to go on in the phrase "display correctly"

Reporting a Bug in Affinity Publisher

1. Are you using the latest beta build?
    ( There is normally a post pinned at the top of the relevant forum that describes where to find the beta installer)
  2. Can you reproduce it?
    (if you cannot then we may struggle to also, making it even harder to fix)
  3. Does it happen for a new document? If not do you have a document you can share that shows the problem?
  4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  •    What application are you using? (so Affinity Publisher, or you are in the wrong forum)
  •    What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave)?
  •    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen)
  •    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did).
  •    Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video.
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers.
  •    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello Patrick, thank you for your reply.

I have been using Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.1.270 (although I see a new beta is now available). I am using it on a Windows 10 PC with a AMD Ryzen 7 2700 processor and a Nvidea 1060 graphics card. I publish a regular 12 page newsletter which I forward to a colleague who uses a MAC. My original was perfectly formatted when I sent it, but when he opened the file on his MAC there were many text boxes with overflows. He corrected these and sent the file back, but when I opened it on my PC, I had the same problem with text overflows.

The file sizes are about 13 MB so too big to upload here. I could send them via a dropbox link if that would help. Here is a screen grab showing one page from my colleagues MAC version and showing text overflow

Clipboard Image.jpg

Hi, I am the colleague on the receiving end of the .afpub file in question. I am running a Mac El using Capitan OSX 10.11.6.

This is the first time we have tried to edit the same document using different hardware/software platforms and the result is consistent. What appears correctly on one computer is not the same on the other after changes have been made

When I opened the .afpub file with the latest Beta version of Affinity Publisher, I received an error message re 'Missing Resources' (see attached screen image). I selected 'No' and continued. Is this due to an incompatibility or did one of us miss a setting - we are both 'newbies' with regards the Affinity product?

The document appeared in full (both text and images) but with condensed line spacing so that large gaps appeared throughout the twelve page document, with several areas of text box overflow. The font was displayed as Calibri Regular 10pt. I have attached an image of page 5 to show how it looked when I opened the document.

If this is simply a font incompatibility, are there fonts which look identical and have similar line spacing characteristics on both Mac and Windows machines?

AffinityErrorMessage.jpg

Page5.jpg

So the line height is different causing the text to reflow?
Is that correct?

I assume you both have the same Calibri fonts installed. Is that correct?
What version of the font is installed?
Current Win 10 version of Calibri Regular is v6.21.

I looked at the font (both Win7 v5.75 and Win10 v6.21) and the way the vertical metrics are configured should result in the same line height on both Windows and Mac.

How is the line height (leading) set on that text paragraph style in APub?
Is it set as a percentage or as a specific fixed leading?
Is the Align to Baseline Grid setting On or Off?

One way to work around cross-platform line height issues is to have a fixed leading and align the baseline to a grid. This forces the font to align to the same vertical place.

28 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

Your Mac co-worker also has Calibri 6.22 installed.

Where did we learn that?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

It is not clear.
That is why I want it clarified.

Thanks. You made it a statement, not a question. And then you concluded it's a Publisher problem. So that made it seem like you already knew the fonts were the same.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, LibreTraining said:

That's why it was prefaced with "Just to clarify ..."

Yes, but ... you made it sound as though you were offering a clarification rather than requesting one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have carried out more testing on the .afpub file I imported on to my Mac from a Windows 10 PC. After opening the file and noticing that the text was uniformly compressed on every page, I checked the para leading parameter and noticed that it was 10 and not the 12.2 pt set in the document when it was created. Is this a bug or should I have created default settings of 12.2 before I opened the file?

Looking in the Paragraph panel, does the leading show as

• "12.2 pt" which would indicate a value you specified; or
  • "[12.2 pt]" (with the brackets) which would indicate a default derived from the font definition, I think.

For the latter, it's possible that having different versions of the font would have the effect you've noticed.

-- Walt
PC:

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Looking in the Paragraph panel, does the leading show as

• "12.2 pt" which would indicate a value you specified; or
  • "[12.2 pt]" (with the brackets) which would indicate a default derived from the font definition, I think.

For the latter, it's possible that having different versions of the font would have the effect you've noticed.

When I opened the .afpub file on my Mac, the leading setting appeared as "[10 pt]

1 hour ago, Colt45 said:

When I opened the .afpub file on my Mac, the leading setting appeared as "[10 pt]

I think that may show that the default value of 10 pt came from the font that you have installed. My guess is Publisher recorded the leading as "default" in the file, without indicating the actual value.

That may generally allow better compatibility for actions like changing the font, since if you change from one 12 pt font to another the leading may need to be different (since one 12pt font may be taller than a different 12pt font). So just recording it as "default" means that when you change the font the leading can transform automatically to one that works with the new font.

In essence, using both Mac and Windows, you have a different font. Again, this is just my guess, and I'm not a font expert.

-- Walt
PC:

On my PC, the para leading is [12.2] with brackets, so I think we have narrowed this down to the different font versions between PC and MAC. It could still be an important issue for those who want to edit .afpub files across platforms. Maybe you should point this inconsistency to Apple (not that I think they will pay much attention)!

If you are setting fixed leading then the font should not affect the line spacing.

I checked the vertical metrics in Calibri v5.75 (Win7), v5.89 (Win8.1), and v6.21 (Win10)
and they are all identical (from the original ISOs).
And the way they have set them they should be the same on Windows or Mac.

I would like to take a look at the v5.62 fonts you to have just to check them.
Perhaps there was an older Mac version which had different metrics.
Please send me the fonts via PM.

But even then with fixed leading they should be the same on both platforms.

2 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

But even then with fixed leading they should be the same on both platforms.

True. But I believe that settings such as [12.2] are not ones set by the user, but ones derived by Affinity as a default value for that font. If the user were to set it to 12.2 that would probably work.

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.