You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.7.0.8)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download: Here

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the beta of Affinity Designer 1.7 for macOS.

Designer 1.7 is a significant change to the currently shipping 1.6 version. Files edited in this version will not be backwards-compatible with the shipping 1.6 version. As such, we would not recommend using this 1.7 version for critical or production work at this stage. It is inevitable that there were will be a number of issues with 1.7 but we hope these will be minor and aim to resolve any issues very quickly, so please use it and explore the new features, but also do keep in mind that you may find snags and we would appreciate your help with finding and reporting these to us.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

It’s also worth noting that we aren’t done yet - we are still working through reported bugs from previous releases and hope to fix as many as possible before the final release of 1.7.

With all that said, we hope that you will enjoy the new capabilities introduced in this initial release and we look forward to any and all feedback you give to us.

Many thanks,

Matt

Please refer to previous beta updates for a full list of all changes to date. This latest update builds on the 1.7.0.7 changes and also includes the following changes:

• Fix for Compound objects not correctly drawing with multiple lines and fills
  • Fix for occasional view issues (showing no page background at times or pixelated drawing)
  • Fix for not being able to Command+Click in Pencil Tool anymore
  • Guides can now be edited from the ruler in most tools (not available in this download on first day of release See here )
  • Guide positions show relative to the origin now
  • Curve handles should now snap during creation in Pen Tool
  • Choosing to smooth an end curve node of an open curve will now correctly make a mirrored smooth handle
  • Style previews are now generated on a background thread
  • Fix for occasional issues with transparent backgrounds on some panels

8 minutes ago, catlover said:

P.S.:

Where do I post a bug comment  for 1.7.0.8 specifically  ?

Affinity Beta Software Forums > Affinity Designer Beta Forums > Designer Beta on Mac ...

Then just use "1.7.0.8" in the title, we will find it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 3/28/2019 at 6:34 AM, MattP said:

Fix for not being able to Command+Click in Pencil Tool anymore

Yay! I do this very often. Thank you.

On 3/28/2019 at 12:58 PM, ajharok said:

No in App update?

That's strange. I got one.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

40 minutes ago, serge said:

Do you guys know when the final version of designer 1.7 will be released.

No. Sorry.

The official standard reply is going to be "When it is ready."

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 hours ago, serge said:

11 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

The official standard reply is going to be "When it is ready."

And “we do not have an ETA”, “unfortunately it’s taking a little longer than expected, but hopefully it will be available soon”, “Serif usually avoids issuing ETAs”, …

• Staff
11 hours ago, serge said:

Yes we do. 

3 minutes ago, Oval said:

“Serif usually avoids issuing ETAs”, …

That is also true, sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I do remember a former coworker that used to reply:

- When is X, Y, Z going to be ready?

- Any moment

It was funny for all of us, except for the Project Leader.

I hope that when it’s release, the 1.7 version comes smoothly.

Best regards!

• Staff

@xman

At the moment, no more than the list in the first post. The posts by Matt tend to be definitive. What did you have in mind?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

You can already move the grid origin.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I can't seem to find a way to offset it, which I feel is different then moving the origin of the zero. Yesterday I had a project where I need to align guild to a design with had a basic grid already. I couldn't  figure out how to line up the grid with my layout. I need to simply offset/nudge the grid over by a few pixel. Not resize it.

Please provide a link if you have one, for where and how to offset the grid by an exact amount.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

• Staff

Open the grid manager, select "Show axis editing handles"

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Ah, thanks! This will be very helpful. Did you guys just add this :D.

Perhaps for future iterations you could add an input box in the manager to put in exact amounts. The current way should be super handy going forward.

Thanks Ben!

• Staff

Already been thinking about that

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

40 minutes ago, xman said:

Perhaps for future iterations you could add an input box in the manager to put in exact amounts

Either that or make it possible to "select" the axis grid handles so they can be adjusted using the transform panel...  just a thought; either way would be good.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.