You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not seeing the picture I would suggest judicious use of masks and a curves layer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 minutes ago, Fixx said:

In PS normal procedure would be select blacks with magic wand, select similar, fill with white. Unfortunately AP selection tools cannot do this.

Are you sure about that? Have you tried unchecking the "Continuous" box in the context toolbar when using the Flood Select Tool (a.k.a. the magic wand)?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 3/27/2019 at 5:39 PM, Dureox said:

I want to know if and how I can convert black into a realistic white without losing the black shadows. How I can do this? Thanks in advance :)

Since you haven’t provided any example, I assume that would be, for instance, turning black cloth to white? In this case, like @Old Bruce said, masks and adjustments. But that may be a tricky one to nail. Light will bounce quite differently against black than white (so shadows in the original picture will look different that they would have if the object was truly white) and even if you manage to make it white, making it realistic and convincing will requite you to go quite the extra mile with additional adjustments and possibly some manual editing. There’s no easy way of doing it, I’m afraid. 16-bit file would be very good for that kind of manipulation since adjustments will be rather intensive and you’re likely to run into banding when doing such stuff in 8 bits.

regards,
Matt

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Are you sure about that? Have you tried unchecking the "Continuous" box in the context toolbar when using the Flood Select Tool (a.k.a. the magic wand)?

Tool seems to select by hue value only and ignores luminosity.

15 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Tool seems to select by hue value only and ignores luminosity.

In the Mac version of Affinity Photo, depending on the tolerance value it seems to include luminosity, at least to some extent, but it isn't obvious to me how that works.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

This might require some masking but in this image I tried to turn the black cloth to white and then invert the shadows and white without losing the white.

Screen-Shot-2019-03-30-at-17-47-17.png

First set was to turn it into black and white so I applied the Black and white adjustment filter

Screen-Shot-2019-03-30-at-17-55-12.png

Then I inverted the the Layer

Screen-Shot-2019-03-30-at-17-49-49.png

Next I tried inverting the highlights that were in the black cloth and that were now shadows in white cloth without turning it back to black. I considered Shadows and highlights the best option and set the blend mode to Negation, the shadow slider to 200% and the highlight slider to -200%

This was the result, not bad for a 5 min test.

Screen-Shot-2019-03-30-at-17-53-48.png

Bear in mind my focus was on the background cloth nothing else.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions