You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity downlod is 366 Megabytes

2 minutes ago, Michail said:

No: 1.7.0.283 !

Not when the OP mentioned .273, nor when carl123 questioned that :)
.283 has only been out for about 2 hours now.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

48 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I used them with a Compugraphic typesetting system. No displays available you would just type and then process the paper strips, hoping you had the correct fonts installed.

Oh yeah, I've learned typesetting (in Germany it was called fotosetting) on a Compugraphic system. And hoping you've inserted a blank cassette before you press enter. :-) It took some time to set a paragraph and see for the first time after processing.

4 minutes ago, Michail said:

I know, but I also wanted to write something in this thread :)

Sometimes I find it is better for me to write nothing and let people think I am intelligent than to write something and remove all doubt.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

9 hours ago, William Overington said:

I wonder if it will be possible to add an Author name into a PDF with the new version.

As far as I can tell, with beta version 270, it is not possible to get an Author name into the PDF Document Properties panel.

However, some posts in this thread say there is now a later version, so what happens with that?

I am wondering why there is not a panel to put in an Author name or a Subject into a PDF. There is in PagePlus.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Not when the OP mentioned .273, nor when carl123 questioned that :)
.283 has only been out for about 2 hours now.

How can I get the version 283 please? I got the 270 because when I tried to start Affinity Publisher and was offered a panel with a download.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

4 hours ago, William Overington said:

I am wondering why there is not a panel to put in an Author name or a Subject into a PDF. There is in PagePlus

There is a Fields panel where you can specify an author name. I don't know if it is placed into an exported PDF, though. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

29 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't know if it is placed into an exported PDF, though. 

'Tis here.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

15 hours ago, William Overington said:

I wonder if it will be possible to add an Author name into a PDF with the new version.

@Mark Ingram

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Yes, I got it to work, great!

Having seen the advice of @walt.farrell and the response by @Old Bruce I went looking for the Fields panel.

The search was on.

To the Help facility and search for Fields.

So, with information from there, I had to do View Studio and then there was a panel.

So I filled in all six fields and four of them went through to the PDF as displayed in Document Properties in Adobe Reader, so good.

The Document Propertes panel shows four fields and each was filled by information that I had input, and indeed that is more than PagePlus does.

Three of the fields, Title, Author, Subject have the same names in the Document Properties in Adobe Reader as they do in the Fields panel of Affinity Publisher.

The field Keywords in the Document Properties in Adobe Reader has the information that is in Tags in the Fields panel of Affinity Publisher.

However, as far as I can tell at present, information in the Comments field and the Revision field in the Fields panel of Affinity Publisher do not go through to the PDF in a way observable using Adobe Reader, though whether or not they are actually in the document I do not know.

So, the facility of adding author details into a PDF is there.

It seems unfortunate that it is hidden away like that, but then again I have moaned at times at the way when I have started up some programs there are panels all over it and it is hard to know how to get started, for example a Java program environment that I got on a magazine cover disc years ago and when I started it up there seemed to be little panels all over the screen.

However, in fairness, now thinking about it and searching for Author in the Help section of Affinity Publisher does refer to the Fields panel. Also I have not read through the documentation and maybe it is explained there.

So maybe there needs to be, and maybe already is, a guide for an Author-Publisher who wants to publish his or her own writing on the web in PDF form where such things are explained.

William

test283.pdf

So, moving on, having discovered that Affinity Publisher does allow the name of an Author to go through to a PDF, does Affinity Publisher have the ability to produce a PDF Slideshow please? PagePlus does and I am now wondering whether that facility is somewhere in Affinity Publisher. I have had a look in the Help section but I have not found anything about it.

William

As far as I know, Publisher doesn't have a "Save as Slideshow" mode - I've not noticed one - but you can display a PDF like a slideshow using the Full Screen Mode of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Or you can use any number of utilities - search the web, E.g. https://www.ilovepdf.com/pdf_to_powerpoint - that can convert a PDF into a slideshow (I've not used any so can't comment on their usefulness).

Thank you.

Apart from the very few occasions when I need to produce a PDF slideshow, now that I know and have tested that Affinity Publisher can include an Author name in a PDF, Affinity Publisher does what I want it to do for my publishing activities.

Gold star to Serif.

William

gold_star.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2019 at 2:31 AM, William Overington said:

I remember when PCs were designed in a way such that it was thought that nobody would ever need more than 640 kilobytes of memory or something like that!

My first computer came with a whopping 4K. My first embedded systems project was on a platform with only 128 bytes of RAM (code in ROM).

On 3/27/2019 at 6:42 AM, GarryP said:

Visual Studio Community

Excellent suggestion. The Community edition is almost the same as the Pro version. There isn't much you can't do with it, and the license allows you to develop commercial software with it as well. 

On 3/27/2019 at 9:00 AM, Alfred said:

I think 8″ floppies were only used on mainframe computers like the IBM System/360.

Back in the early 80's I worked at a place with an account system running on a Northstar CP/M machine with an 8" Shugart floppy. I don't remember the Northstar's model, but it was the one that came in the solid walnut case. 

On 3/27/2019 at 9:10 AM, Old Bruce said:

I used them with a Compugraphic typesetting system

Interesting. When I was in the Navy, the boat I was on had an IBM magcard machine, basically an IBM selectric with a magnetic card storage system and an editing system limited to backspaces.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub