You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Photo] macros.propcol file size too large, never decreases

The simplest way I have found to demonstrate the issue:

1. The Initial size of my macros.propcol file is 10.2 MB.
  2. I create a new empty macros category named "TEST MACROS" & the size jumps to 13.7 MB.
  3. I add single 2 step macro that adds a raster layer via Assistant & adds a single 16 px wide round brush dot to the layer & the size jumps to 15.5 MB
  4. I then delete the macro from this category & the size jumps to 17.3 MB
  5. I then delete the entire "TEST MACROS" macros category & the size jumps to 19 MB

I get similar results if for example I add a simple macro to a preexisting macros category & then delete it. Macros that place a jpg or other raster image file into a document also increase the size of the macros.propcol file by several times the size of the raster image file, & deleting only that macro from whatever category it is in also increases the file size by several MB in addition to that.

I am concerned that over time the macros.propcol file may become huge, wasting a lot of disk space, with no simple way to reclaim it.

Note: first mentioned in this post.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi @R C-R

I tested this and that's what I've found, in the 1.6 Release:

The macros.propcop seem to increase up to the 8th change (Regardless of the action you take - creating or deleting). On the 9th action, the size is reverted to the "normal" size. It looks as if it keeps the changes in the propcol file, and does not flush the changes until the 9th operation. 

In 1.7 beta, this is fixed, and the size refreshes after every operation. 

Thanks

Gabe. 

41 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

It looks as if it keeps the changes in the propcol file, and does not flush the changes until the 9th operation. 

Thanks for taking the time to discover that is how it works. I did try making several changes to see if that had any effect, but gave up after 3-4 tries so I never would have figured out that is how it works in the 1.6 version on my own. Also good to know that this is fixed in the 1.7 beta.

My only remaining question about this issue is if in the beta when a macro includes a large placed image, it adds several times that file's size to the size of the macros.propcol file, but I can test that for myself. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

I've done some further testing in 1.7.

When you place images, the size only gets updated when you next launch the app. If you then delete the place image macro, the size does not go down... 

I've logged this to be looked at. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.