You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Constant repeated 'Updating File' message

Affinity Designer MAC version 1.6.1

I've been using AD quite happily for about a year until today. 

Every time I open any afdesign file to edit that I was working on before today with no problems, I get a repeated (about once a second) "Updating File ...." message popping up at the top of the window stopping me working on the file. This repeated message keeps going and the Affinity Design icon in the MAC doc bounces up and down.

If I manage to do Command W at the right point in the repeated 'Updating FIle' message cycle it will close the file and the message disappears, only to restart again as soon as I open another file I saved before today.

This has never happened before and seems to happen on all files afdesign files. If I create a new afdesign file today, save it, close it then reopen it works fine with no message

af.png

• Staff

Hi Alpew and Welcome to the Forums,

Can you try opening (but not saving) one of the files that gives that message in the beta, just to see if the same happens.  You can get the beta from here and it installs alongside the release build, so no need to uninstall anything.

Also if you could either attach a sample file that gives this message or upload one to our Dropbox here i'll see if it's anything to do with the actual file.

Hi Stokerg

Thanks for responding. I have attached the file in the screengrab to this message.

I clicked the link in your message to access the Beta and it seemed to be Affinity Photo not Designer. Can you just confirm that you want me to install the Photo Beta when my issue is with Affinity Designer?

Blog.afdesign

Thanks for the link. I am just about to install it now so will let you know the outcome.

I had already tried the force quit AD option and it doesn't make any difference. I've tried it again with another file just to check and the message reappears.

I've rebooted the machine and installed the Beta app and I am still getting an identical problem but the message has changed to "External application is reading file".

On the Beta the problem occurs with every afdesign file I've tried that was created before today and it also now occurs to the new file I created from scratch today. Interestingly that file is the only file that still works ok on the full version

image.thumb.png.32a9bb105e319aa69fb273a05d258e4b.png

Where are your documents stored?

Locally?

or are they on iCloud or on a local drive synced (backed up)  to another external drive somewhere?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi carl123

Think you have found the problem thanks for the idea.. 

The files are stored in G-Suite both a Google Team Drive as well as my personal Google Home Drive. They are synced to the desktop to be available 'offline' using 'Google Drive File Stream' (version 29.1.81.1927)

I've just copied a file to the Mac 'Downloads' folder (hence not synced via Google Drive)  and it loads into AF no problem. Put it back in the Google Team Drive and the problem reoccurs.

The strange thing is I spent most of yesterday (and previously) working on the files in the Google Team Drive with no issues at all.  I have restarted the Google Drive File Stream' app and tried accessing a file on the Team Drive again and the problem is still there.

So for the time being I am copying the files I need to the local MAC downloads foler to work on them before transferring them back.

Thanks!