You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Filter Forge 8. Almost, but not quite there yet

I was recently made an offer I could not refuse to upgrade my Filter Forge 7 to version 8. There have been hints that Filter Forge has been working to get FF to work with Affinity Photo, so I tried it in both AP 1.6 and AP 1.7 Beta.

The plugin installed OK in both programs. Curiously, although the folder was present in the Photoshop Plugins dialog box, the actual plugin was not listed in the Preferences. When I went to Filters > Plugins Filter Forge 8 was listed in both. In AP 1.6 when I selected FF8, I immediately got an error message (which has been submitted to Filter Forge). In AP1.7 Beta, when I selected FF8, the plugin interface appeared and it invited me to register, which I did successfully. However, when I selected a filter to apply to my image, Filter Forge closed and left Affinity Photo Frozen. I had to use the Task Manager to close AP.

I tried again today with AP 1.7 Beta and FF8 gave me the same error message as in 1.6, but did not freeze AP.

Filter Forge have said here:

"We're trying to contact AP developers to fix the problem. How they'll answer us soon and we'll be able to make Filter Forge work under AP again. Meanwhile we suggest to work with Filter Forge in a standalone mode and use copy and paste feature to drag images to and from AP."

I shall have to stick with the standalone for now.

John

EDIT: I seem to have posted this in the wrong forum, in the Suggestions for Affinity Photo on Desktop. It was intended for Affinity on Desktop (MAC and Windows).

Moderators: Could this be moved please.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 3/26/2019 at 12:29 PM, John Rostron said:

I was recently made an offer I could not refuse to upgrade my Filter Forge 7 to version 8

I did not seem to have gotten that offer... maybe it will come later.

53 minutes ago, Fixx said:

I did not seem to have gotten that offer... maybe it will come later.

The offer of 80% off expired a few days ago.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 1 month later...

Be been trying to get FF7 to work as a plug-in with AP 1.6.7 on the Mac, but nothing happens. Apparently this is a known issue?  I’ve tried contacting  Filter Forge about it but as of yet have gotten no response at all. I feel they’re being petty as I just recently grabbed a free promo license key for it instead of paying. Not encouraging me to plunk down cash, though. 

44 minutes ago, DaveMustang said:

Be been trying to get FF7 to work as a plug-in with AP 1.6.7 on the Mac ...

See for FF5/6 on Mac here (click on the yellow label/text to expand), maybe it's due to that.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

18 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Link?

Google is sometimes your friend, look here. Looks to be a Canonista magazine.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2