You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with exporting PDF/X3

Hi there!
I've just redone a brochure in Affinity Publisher originally produced at my agency using Indesign. The process of creating the layout was smooth, but the export to PDF/X3 wasn't: Either parts of the text got rasterized or some images were missing in the exported PDF.

When using the preset "Export (web)" some headlines and parts of the copy text got rasterized without any apparent reason (see page 10 + 11, no fx, fonts embedded). If exported to web with the option "don't raster anything" set the same headlines and copy text got exported just fine as vectors - but some images were missing afterwards (afphoto format).

Just wonder what I was doing wrong?

Best, Volker

brochure-test-web-no-raster-allowed.pdf

brochure-test-web-raster-only-unsupported-features.pdf

16 minutes ago, Typo998 said:

Hi @VolkerMB

Maybe it's a bug but if you change Rasterize parameter to "Nothing", it make the job.

image.png.da7a2ad38ec075b1c7ed42bb505e5d38.png

Regards!

But then Mr. We.. is missing on page 11. Volker did you ever try using .jpg or .tif instead of .afphoto? It seems to be, that Mr. We.. is to blame in your document. If you remove him everything is good. Perhaps we have to wait until Personas work? Just a wild guess, because I can't see why Mr. We.. is causing problems.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Now that you have mentioned the photo of Mr. Wellisch I replaced it by a jpeg file - no problems left. That is funny because the photos of all other board members are of the same format (.afphoto) but do not cause problems.

Thanks for you investigation!

On first sight, compared to the other two images Wellisch has more layers compared to the two which were reduced to only a pixel layer. Would be interesting what happens if Wellisch is also reduced to only one pixel layer.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Indeed, reducing (merge visible) to one layer solved the problem: The brochure got exported correctly with the Wellisch photo reduced. Which means: Apparently images in the .afphoto file format need to be reduced before placed in APu. I expected it to work flawlessly even without this extra step, but now that I know I can live with it.

Today, I have already invested a lot of time in the export of print PDFs: A) grouped texts had to be ungrouped, for example, and the levels had to be moved all the way up to be exported as TEXT. (Attention - if an effect is applied to the text group, ungrouping will not display a warning, only if you rasterize the text, AP asks if you want to apply the effects.) B) Linked AD files were considered pixels -Data exported - after embedding the AD files, they were also displayed as vector data in the PDF and had to be ungrouped just like the texts. I could not remove my thin lines in the cut-out images until the end ...

#ap #publisher #1.7.0.283
#pdfx4 #print #PDF
#text #linked #vectorfiles #designer #rasterized #ungroup 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.