You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I like to resize the document I'm working on to a certain number. So I tried my hand at macros to accomplish this. I turned on the recorder, selected the resize document tab, entered the size I preferred, 4000. Hit enter, etc, and closed off the recorder. These are the steps I do manually, and they work.

When I try the macro, however, the picture distorts usually into an elongated version. I can't find what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

In the Document resize panel there is a padlock clicking on that locks the aspect ratio and when you enter a value in either box the other one changes accordingly. If it looks like the padlock in this screenshot the aspect ratio is locked and both values will change.

991642385_ScreenShot2019-03-26at07_48_48.png.1b53072f9d5ac4138f649a7f5fea986b.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Bear in mind that when you record the macro it hardcodes the values from the document you are working on into the macro.

So if you change the width to 4000px, whatever value change that makes to the height will also be recorded.

If you then replay that macro on another document that does not have the same aspect ratio of the original document you will get distorted results

The Mac 1.7 beta has an update listed as

"- New ability to control how macros are scaled / aligned when playing back."

But Windows users do not have that update as yet so I cant say what that does or if it will cure the "problem"

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thank you, Firstdefence, and Carl123. I did check the lock aspect ratio, and it was checked.

Based on Carl123's info, I did a little check, and found his explanation did clear up my confusion. I tried it manually with a pic, and noted the adjusted number after I entered my desired width. Sure enough, after the macro on a different pic, I got the desired width, but with the same exact height of the first pic. So, at least I know that I'm not going crazy. I will just have to resize manually. Oh the horrors of such a heavy task. /s.  I still love Affinity, and love learning about it's power. Once again, thank you to everyone for your help.

If you ever have a need to simply resize lots of documents at once, then File > New Batch Job should do what you want.

It has the flexibility to be able to only enter the width (or height) and the aspect ratio will be maintained

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

You might like to consider Filters > Distort > Equations. This allows more flexibility in sizing which does not get hardwired. See the discussion here.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630