You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Icon bland and boring?

1 hour ago, PMan said:

we (ie those outside of Serif!) do not yet know what the final icon for Affinity Publisher Full version will be, but an educated guess is that it will be triangular just as Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo are whereas Beta versions are square   

My educated guess ( :) ) is that the release versions of 1.7 will have square icons. There was no need to change the icon from triangular to square for the beta, as the beta icons were already distinguished by the beta symbol in them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

I’m sorry that you found the answers to be cryptic, Rick, but I’m even more sorry that you thought anyone was trying to belittle you! After @Joachim_L posted

and you misinterpreted it, I posted

in an attempt to point out that build number “284,5” includes a comma which should be seen as a decimal separator. There is, of course, no such thing as build 284½.

Thanks Alfred. I missed the humor. I do understand that there are not decimal beta increments at least after the 3rd Decimal

I did not understand but I think Pman explained ir

1 hour ago, PMan said:

Just to add that Beta icons are NOT the same as the actual program icons so since Publisher is still only in beta stage, we (ie those outside of Serif!) do not yet know what the final icon for Affinity Publisher Full version will be, but an educated guess is that it will be triangular just as Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo are whereas Beta versions are square   

217587034_Affinityicons.PNG.3243d04323e14486bfaa8f500f483857.PNG

Pman 1300999113_AffinitySpecsmine.PNG.48594c149524e25a6ffa1dcc27a3e6aa.PNG

Thank you! I just :assumed: the beta icons were the new icons and would follow into the 1.7 release. I hope you are correct as I prefer the triangles and think they look sharp, but whatever they do with the icons is not going to create any more than a ripple. Besides, we can replace the icons at any time if it is that much of an issue

Thanks for the answer

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

1 minute ago, AdamW said:

To the best of my current knowledge the 1.7 Release Icons will be very similar to, if not the same as, the current Beta Icons.

Thanks!

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

On 4/1/2019 at 1:35 AM, PMan said:

an educated guess is that it will be triangular just as Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo are whereas Beta versions are square   

Unless they are changing all the logos into square ones for 1.7. and futher

I agree. The new square publisher icon is hideous.  Publisher should keep the A shape like the current versions of designer and photo.  Also agree that presentation is everything in creative software. not a huge fan of the burnt orange color either, but the Square Publisher Icon needs to go.

On 4/2/2019 at 12:18 AM, Aaron Martin said:

Unless they are changing all the logos into square ones for 1.7.

Unfortunately, they are.

9 hours ago, LAViking said:

The new square publisher icon is hideous.

I wouldn't go quite that far.  They are not particularly inspiring (or to some they might serve as bad inspiration), and they are a HUGE step backwards from the previous icons, but they are still at least marginally better than the ones from another well-known graphics software developer I won't bother to name here (and from a few other places I might add).  That isn't saying much, but people still "rent" software from that other company.

9 hours ago, LAViking said:

Publisher should keep the A shape like the current versions of designer and photo.

This I agree with completely.

10 hours ago, LAViking said:

Also agree that presentation is everything in creative software.

It's not everything, or we would be buying great-looking software that doesn't work.  But it is a big piece of the picture, yes.

8 hours ago, fde101 said:
18 hours ago, LAViking said:

Publisher should keep the A shape like the current versions of designer and photo.

This I agree with completely.

I still have a glimmer of hope that they’re using these square icons just for betas only. They used to have different icons for beta before (with a “b” on top right of it). 

2 minutes ago, Aaron Martin said:

I still have a glimmer of hope that they’re using these square icons just for betas only.

Abandon most hope:

On 3/31/2019 at 2:59 PM, AdamW said:

To the best of my current knowledge the 1.7 Release Icons will be very similar to, if not the same as, the current Beta Icons.