Publisher, good product terrible name

7 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

I have a great idea.
Since it is for making publications ...
How about: Affinity PubMaker

Totally original, unique, different.
No MS name baggage.
Perfect.

Great idea! "PubMaker" (or even better: "ClubMaker"). You want to run a pub? Then this is the perfect app for you. Only today with a beer for free!

Affinity Roadmap

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 3/25/2019 at 4:49 PM, MickRose said:

When I make some leaflets or business cards for someone I don't see it as a publishing process.

The following comments relate to England, I do not know about what is the situation elsewhere.

Well, if the leaflets are made available to the public then they are published, though the person printing them is not necessarily the publisher.

I do not know if the law is still the same but back in the 1960s I remember reading that it is the law that anyone in the UK printing a leaflet for someone needs to keep available a copy for at least 3 months in case a magistrate wants to inspect it.

I do not know how that applies to business cards, but I suppose it depends what is on them.

There was also a law that leaflets should carry an imprint showing who printed them.

There is also the matter of the requirement for legal deposit. Legal deposit was expanded in 2013 to include items published electronically. 

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I've got a vague recollection of some of that from the 60's as well. Was it to do with the political/underground publications? Anyway, the point remains that the publisher and designer of printed material are normally (though not always) different. If Apple didn't already use the name I'd go with Affinity Pages. It's interesting how the naming of something becomes important sometimes. Language and identity can be very linked.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

1 hour ago, MickRose said:

"I've got a vague recollection of some of that from the 60's as well. Was it to do with the political/underground publications?

Well, I learned about it in the 1960s because I was into hobbyist letterpress printing and I was reading various things.

It might not have been in this particular book but a good book that I read a lot in those days was Five Hundred Years of Printing by S. H. Steinberg.

I found this quite by chance when looking through a display of Pelican books in a large bookshop where they may have had one copy of everything available in the Pelican series. I do not know whether it is still available today.

I am not sure but I think that the law was from some many years, maybe centuries, before then.

There were fines for con-compliance and I seem to remember that the fines were much higher if the publication was anything to do with an election.

I sometimes notice these days that when "vote for me" leaflets come round during elections they often have things like "Printed by [Business name and address] and published by [Party name and address]" printed on them.

For information about legal deposit there are some good documents on the British Library website.

https://www.bl.uk/legal-deposit

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

By the way, the British Library page has

"If you're a publisher,"

Some people think that "publisher" means only one of those big commercial publishing companies, but that is not the case.

A publisher can be an individual putting out items. Whether it is a paid-for item or a read-for-free item is not part of it. Perceived literary merit is not part of it.

So I am a publisher for my novel and I have sent chapters as I have published them to the British Library at publication or soon afterwards for legal deposit, sometimes one chapter, sometimes more than one chapter, and these have been acknowledged by email each time. I have also deposited fonts that I have produced and I believe that I am the first person to do so. Also other items such as research documents that I have produced.

William