You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher, good product terrible name

I would vote for Affinity InXpressDesign. I never worked with the M!@@))@@)@t product so Affinity Publisher does not cause negative feelings for me.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Seriously? It is a publishing program and they named it (gasp!) PUBLISHER!!!  who would have thought?

Ok I DEMAND they change the name to

Page making thang

OR

Book setter upper

If I don't get my way I will just settle on "Publisher" since that describes SUCCINCTLY what the program does

2 guys laughing.gif

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

28 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Book setter upper

I reckon Affinity Page spread setter-upper-err rolls off the tongue nicely

I remember raising the same question about the name publisher years ago when it was first announced, but I've gradually got used to it

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

3 hours ago, zanenz said:

That's actually a good suggestion. I'm not anti the name 'Publisher', but it just sounds a bit outdated

I agree with that. Publisher sounds a bit cheesy imo. Publishing is a whole lot more than producing the artwork for an item to be published. And a lot of jobs that use Affinity "Publisher" won't get published at all. When I make some leaflets or business cards for someone I don't see it as a publishing process.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

3 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

I reckon Affinity Page spread setter-upper-err rolls off the tongue nicely

+1 xD

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

19 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Affinity Photographer, since we have a Designer and a Publisher

OR:-------  PHOTO - DESIGN - PAGE

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Or even better Affinity PhotoDesignPage! Make one bundled programme, so that I have to click only ONE "bland and boring icon"!! <- joking

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Strikes me that you all have too much time on your hands with too little to do.    Why not write your own apps and then call them whatever you like?   I write and publish.  “Affinity Publisher” is perfectly fine with me.    I do not “layout” books like laundry out of the dryer.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

23 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Strikes me that you all have too much time on your hands with too little to do.    Why not write your own apps and then call them whatever you like?   I write and publish.  “Affinity Publisher” is perfectly fine with me.    I do not “layout” books like laundry out of the dryer.

Strikes me you have enough time on your hands to amusingly respond to people that have enough time on their hands to write amusing posts...

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

Strikes me you have enough time on your hands to amusingly respond to people that have enough time on their hands to write amusing posts...

I do indeed.   Older than the hills of Rome.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

5 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

I do not “layout” books like laundry out of the dryer.

I kind of do... Note to self: Get some shelves or another laundry basket.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I think the name needs to have some pep, some movement, some je ne sais quoi!  How about Affinity Enpagerizer.   It's 98% faster at enpagerizing than the competition.  No enpagerizer is like it on the market. It not only enpagerizes, but it slices and dices and makes mounds and mounds of Julienne fries!  Act now and you will receive a free sham-wow towel to go with your purchase.  Not sold in stores. 

12 minutes ago, Michael117 said:

I think the name needs to have some pep, some movement, some je ne sais quoi!  How about Affinity Enpagerizer.   It's 98% faster at enpagerizing than the competition.  No enpagerizer is like it on the market. It not only enpagerizes, but it slices and dices and makes mounds and mounds of Julienne fries!  Act now and you will receive a free sham-wow towel to go with your purchase.  Not sold in stores. 

Now with 50% more(or less) lead*.

* Pb, the metal.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, fde101 said:

How about Affinity Expression?

Sounds like a math program xD

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

When I first heard the name Affinity Publisher, my first thought was to the MS product. Also the term "publisher" on it's own is hard for me to take seriously, as "desktop publishing" is what grandma does to create her monthly newsletter. Real professionals are called Graphic Designers. Therefore I think the Designer name should have been used for Publisher, and the current Designer app shouldn't have had a different name. But I can get used to all of this.

13 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

That could be also applied to you mate. Strikes me that you have too much time on your hands and you come here to attack people on their opinions. Who says your opinion is better than everyone else's opinion? Keyboard warrior much? :4_joy: