Rodi

Publisher, good product terrible name

Hey,

You have a good product with a terrible name, it reminds us graphic artists of a M!@@))@@)@t product.

Change the name to Affinity Layout and thank me for a couple of decades.

Rodi

Seriously? It is a publishing program and they named it (gasp!) PUBLISHER!!!  who would have thought?

Ok I DEMAND they change the name to

Page making thang

OR

Book setter upper

If I don't get my way I will just settle on "Publisher" since that describes SUCCINCTLY what the program does

2 guys laughing.gif

Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 & beta 1.8.0.486   Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 beta  1.8.0.486 Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.422 beta  1.7.2.458

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

yoda.png

Try spot colors in M publisher...

No one has used the name layout... and you have designer, photo and layout... it's a team effort!

28 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Book setter upper

I reckon Affinity Page spread setter-upper-err rolls off the tongue nicely

I remember raising the same question about the name publisher years ago when it was first announced, but I've gradually got used to it

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009)
2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 - 2 GB
Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor
Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan

Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher 1.7.1 + Betas when available

Binger.jpg.1f81574106cc2dea8ae65d0a572b9ef9.jpg
www.bingercreative.co.uk

3 hours ago, zanenz said:

That's actually a good suggestion. I'm not anti the name 'Publisher', but it just sounds a bit outdated

I agree with that. Publisher sounds a bit cheesy imo. Publishing is a whole lot more than producing the artwork for an item to be published. And a lot of jobs that use Affinity "Publisher" won't get published at all. When I make some leaflets or business cards for someone I don't see it as a publishing process.

Windows 7 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

3 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

I reckon Affinity Page spread setter-upper-err rolls off the tongue nicely

+1 xD

Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 & beta 1.8.0.486   Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 beta  1.8.0.486 Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.422 beta  1.7.2.458

yoda.png

19 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Affinity Photographer, since we have a Designer and a Publisher

OR:-------  PHOTO - DESIGN - PAGE

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009)
2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 - 2 GB
Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor
Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan

Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher 1.7.1 + Betas when available

Binger.jpg.1f81574106cc2dea8ae65d0a572b9ef9.jpg
www.bingercreative.co.uk

Strikes me that you all have too much time on your hands with too little to do.    Why not write your own apps and then call them whatever you like?   I write and publish.  “Affinity Publisher” is perfectly fine with me.    I do not “layout” books like laundry out of the dryer.

21.5 iMAC Retina 4K display. MacOS Sierra v. 10.12.6 (which I am not changing).  3.1 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6 GHz.  Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3.  1TB Fusion Drive.  Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB.   iPad Pro 12.9, iOS v. 12.3.1, Apple Pencil.  Affinity Publisher 1.7.3, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3. 

Magic mouse.9_9

23 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Strikes me that you all have too much time on your hands with too little to do.    Why not write your own apps and then call them whatever you like?   I write and publish.  “Affinity Publisher” is perfectly fine with me.    I do not “layout” books like laundry out of the dryer.

Strikes me you have enough time on your hands to amusingly respond to people that have enough time on their hands to write amusing posts...

+1

Sorry I'm in a hurry :15_yum:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1903)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

Strikes me you have enough time on your hands to amusingly respond to people that have enough time on their hands to write amusing posts...

I do indeed.   Older than the hills of Rome.

21.5 iMAC Retina 4K display. MacOS Sierra v. 10.12.6 (which I am not changing).  3.1 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6 GHz.  Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3.  1TB Fusion Drive.  Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB.   iPad Pro 12.9, iOS v. 12.3.1, Apple Pencil.  Affinity Publisher 1.7.3, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3. 

Magic mouse.9_9

5 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

I do not “layout” books like laundry out of the dryer.

I kind of do... Note to self: Get some shelves or another laundry basket.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.x.x

I think the name needs to have some pep, some movement, some je ne sais quoi!  How about Affinity Enpagerizer.   It's 98% faster at enpagerizing than the competition.  No enpagerizer is like it on the market. It not only enpagerizes, but it slices and dices and makes mounds and mounds of Julienne fries!  Act now and you will receive a free sham-wow towel to go with your purchase.  Not sold in stores. 

12 minutes ago, Michael117 said:

I think the name needs to have some pep, some movement, some je ne sais quoi!  How about Affinity Enpagerizer.   It's 98% faster at enpagerizing than the competition.  No enpagerizer is like it on the market. It not only enpagerizes, but it slices and dices and makes mounds and mounds of Julienne fries!  Act now and you will receive a free sham-wow towel to go with your purchase.  Not sold in stores. 

Now with 50% more(or less) lead*.

* Pb, the metal.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.x.x

3 hours ago, fde101 said:

How about Affinity Expression?

Sounds like a math program xD

yoda.png

When I first heard the name Affinity Publisher, my first thought was to the MS product. Also the term "publisher" on it's own is hard for me to take seriously, as "desktop publishing" is what grandma does to create her monthly newsletter. Real professionals are called Graphic Designers. Therefore I think the Designer name should have been used for Publisher, and the current Designer app shouldn't have had a different name. But I can get used to all of this.

20 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Sounds like a math program xD

Sounds as much like another MS application,  a suite of applications actually, the Expression series.

13 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

That could be also applied to you mate. Strikes me that you have too much time on your hands and you come here to attack people on their opinions. Who says your opinion is better than everyone else's opinion? Keyboard warrior much? :4_joy: