You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Two vertical centres on layout page

I noticed this before, but forgot to tell. I really like the feature of positioning an object absolutely centered on a page. Green line for horizontal and red line for vertical position. It seems to be that a page has two vertical centres. See attached image. Move object slowly to the vertical centre, red line appears and the object snaps, now move the object a little bit down and another red line appears. On an A4 layout vertical centres are at 146 and 148,5 mm.

middle-of-page.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Joachim_L,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. The right rectangle in your screenshot does not look right. You cannot have 2 vertical centres on the same page. You can have multiple columns/rows, but the page centre remains in the centre. 

Can you please attach a screen recording of this in action? Make sure you use the latest Publisher update. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Same behaviour in .283. The right rectangle was just to show the second vertical centre. Just try it yourself. Move a rectangle slowly down the page. First it snaps at a red line at 146 mm from top (which is NOT the centre of the page). Then just move it down a bit and then it snaps at another red line correctly at 148,5 mm (centre of A4).

Video added for better understanding.

Edited by Joachim_L
Video added

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

@Joachim_L

Check that your page's top and bottom margin settings are the same

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I've just tried this and I'm getting the same behavior!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

7 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I've just tried this and I'm getting the same behavior!

There is a difference between the terms "layout page" and "margins". If you disable one of them in the snap settings, there is only one line left. If the border settings are the same, both lines coincide.

5 minutes ago, Michail said:

There is a difference between the terms "pages" and "layout". If you disable one of them in the snap settings, there is only one line left.

That's it! :D

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

You're snapping to the page margins (blue lines) and not a "secondary centre"

No. You're not watching the video well enough.

One can have this occur with even guidelines being dragged down from the top ruler. Spread mid-points checked should make no difference with this behavior, especially with guidelines.

It does seem that one "snap" is to the page centre and the other to the margins centre. (And, it all depends on the settings you use for snapping!)

4 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Should it happen at all? Nothing else I use does such a thing. Especially with guidelines.

If one has elected to snap to margins, and to margin midpoints, why shouldn't it happen?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If top and bottom margins are different and snap to margins are turned on, then it definitely should and does happen. If you don't want that functionality just untick margin boxes.

image.png.348ad152bc4ec23945b4382addb676a0.png

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.