You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installation problem - Affinity Publisher Beta

Just downloaded the Publisher Beta, but can't install. It says "Setup cannot proceed - supported windows version not found".

This is strange because I am using Windows 10 Pro (64bit), has 4GB RAM, and has ample empty space in C drive. I also have Direct X version 12.

So just wondering what could possibly go wrong? Does anyone has any idea? I have multiple designer files that I worked on before in another machine, but now can't use those in my current machine. Very frustrating! Please help.

Affinity designer setup error.png

Affinity designer setup error - my system configuration.png

Affinity designer setup error - my system configuration 2.png

Edited by aislam

• Staff

@aislam

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

You will see from the Affinity Publisher beta download page that for the last few builds we now install the latest version of .NET (4.7.2) which itself REQUIRES that you update your Windows 10 to at least the Anniversary release (ver 1607). You are still using 1511 and the software will not install on that earlier version of Windows 10. We had to move to the latest version of .NET because of a bug in the earlier version of the software compiler, which only requires .NET 4.6.2 (that is supported on earlier Windows 10 releases)

So if you plan to test or buy Affinity Publisher you will need to update your Windows 10 first.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

14 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

@aislam

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

You will see from the Affinity Publisher beta download page that for the last few builds we now install the latest version of .NET (4.7.2) which itself REQUIRES that you update your Windows 10 to at least the Anniversary release (ver 1607). You are still using 1511 and the software will not install on that earlier version of Windows 10. We had to move to the latest version of .NET because of a bug in the earlier version of the software compiler, which only requires .NET 4.6.2 (that is supported on earlier Windows 10 releases)

So if you plan to test or buy Affinity Publisher you will need to update your Windows 10 first.

Thank you for your reply. I have and use Serif Page Plus 8 and Affinity Photo version 1.6.5.135. I have built an expensive PC for video editing. It uses the Intel Raid Chipset  C600 series. Intel will not support later versions of Windows 10 with the required drivers. They seem to think being green means counting dollars rather than supporting older chipsets for powerful expensive workhorses which are otherwise fully functional. I cannot afford to replace my PC to benefit from using Publisher. I cannot understand how Affinity can produce Affinity Photo which works fine on my version of windows. This seems a short sighted approach by Affinity for people in my position. My laptop is a Dell XPS M1530 which again requires drivers not supported in the later versions of windows 10.

Are Affinity really saying "folks, we know the world likes to be Green but we here at Affinity can't find away around our problem that will allow you to continue to use your "old" PC and laptops so just chuck them away and go buy some new hard ware costing thousands of pounds to use our software which costs less than £100"?

I'm sorry for my synicism but I'll stick with Serif Page Plus and Affinity Photo. Publisher will not be on my shopping list as I'll not replace a £2000+ PC which works well to sort out a software problem.

• Staff

Sorry to say the compiler is changing for the Affinity range due to this compiler bug, so Affinity Photo 1.7.0 on Windows will require .NET 4.7.2 also.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

9 hours ago, PathfinderPro said:

I have built an expensive PC for video editing. It uses the Intel Raid Chipset  C600 series. Intel will not support later versions of Windows 10 with the required drivers

With all due respect to you should you not be making your complaint/comment to Intel, rather than Serif?

I fully understand why you would not be willing to update/change your current computer but you really ought not to blame Serif/Affinity for needing to use a technology your machine does not support, because of the unwillingness of Intel to update their Chipset drivers.

Just my opinion... :)

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

@PathfinderPro

Don't get me wrong, you really do have my sympathy. Your fantastic computer should not feel like it is already becoming outdated, but we cannot avoid the crash using .NET 4.6.2 which is supported by your version of Windows 10. Microsoft have said the solution for us is to use the new compiler. Compromising our 1.7 and future software releases by remaining on the old compiler is not a good option.

Thinking laterally, if you are never going to upgrade your Windows 10 again, what about using Windows 8.1 would that work?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.