You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

horizontal/vertical node buttons

Ideally would love to have 2 buttons - to lineup nodes vertically and horizontally - up there with the flip and rotate buttons in the top tool bar.  In illustrator it's called "averaging" and it's a 2 step operation, which is a bit of a pain if you do it a lot.  See screenshots. There is even an option for both, which can be handy when you need to have two nodes on top of each other or want them to be centred.

I can't find a way to do this yet in AD with nodes. If there is way to line up 2 or more "nodes" either vertically or horizontally please let me know. I've tried aligning but that seems to align to coordinates in the document - centre, left, right, top and bottom... Cheers for any insight.

post-305-0-31617800-1408581406_thumb.jpg

post-305-0-06249400-1408581415_thumb.jpg

Thanks MEB, that's is a nice intuitive way to line up one at a time and will suffice in those cases where you're not trying to line up more than one node. Cheers.

Now if we can lineup 2 or more at the same time, that will be really powerful, but thanks I appreciate the video, I hadn't thought of utilizing snap in that way. I'm so ingrained in "other" ways of doing these things...  ;)

• 1 year later...

To align all horizontally, select the object (or the nodes) and, in the Transform panel, set the H value to 0.

To align all vertically, select the object (or the nodes) and, in the Transform panel, set the W value to 0.

I'm new to affinity and trying to do some low poly art. Aligning anchor points is crucial to my sanity and i cant find a way to select a bunch of vertices from neighbouring triangles and get them all to align together at the same node. the W / H solution seems to help, but for some reason it wont let me set the value to less than 1px. any idea what i might be doing wrong ? 

Thanks MEB!

Yup i figured that bit out from other similar threads/posts in the forum. was more curious about the workaround that was mentioned above using the transform function. 

What i want to be able to do is after selecting a bunch of anchor points from different triangles (specifically, one point from each triangle), i need a quick way to make them all converge at the same point, without having to individually drag each one into place. The snapping definitely makes the dragging process easier, but the hours are gonna pile up if i have to do this for 5-6 anchor points x a hundred different places where i need nodes to converge for my illustration. 

Is there any reason why the transform panel won't let me set the W / H to 0 px ? 

sometimes it displays 0 or 0.2 or 0.1 after i'm done dragging the points close to each other. But it wont let me key those values in manually. 

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

• Staff

Maybe i'm missing something here but what's the point in changing the W and H to zero when a node is selected? Wouldn't that be X and Y coordinates instead? As far as i know selecting several nodes from different triangles and setting the X and Y to zero will not converge the points, since they will keep their relative distances between them...

Sorry if I wasn't explaining well enough!

Setting W/H to zero was mentioned above, so I was giving it a try. Yes changing the X and Y moves all the points around, together. But changing the W/H (seems to) change the relative distance between the points. The  higher the number, the further apart they are spread along an axis, and they come closer together when the number is low. Is there a reason why I'm unable to set it to zero?

Maybe a picture would help. 

(http://imgur.com/kD6FplQ)

The clump of nodes in the centre, is an example of what I'm working with. I need them all to converge (align horizontally and vertically), and then i need to repeat that action a few hundred times across the document, for every bunch of nodes where the 2 or more triangles meet. Is there a way to do this without dragging every individual point ? If there isn't, i need to know, so that i can start spending time actually dragging rather than trying to find a more efficient way to do it  :lol:

• Staff

Hi abhishekrad,

Thanks for the explanation. I can now replicate that behaviour (although i have no idea why this works - it doesn't make sense). 

I see what you mean regarding getting the zero. It just comes close. I will investigate this further.

I'm still not sure if this is supposed to work this way.