You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wrong break after paragraph at the end of a column

Hi all,

I have a problem with paragraphs at the end of a column in text frames. The attached picture should make it easier to explain. As you can see, the last paragraph in the left column gets split when it ends within two or one line/s in the next column, even though there's enough space for it to fit into the first column. As you can also see, changing the flow options won't make it any better. I tested this behaviour in a new file and couldn't reconstruct it. There must be a flaw in my paragraph style's settings but I can't figure out where. Has someone a clue?

Thanks a lot!

paragraph_problem_1.PNG

paragraph_problem_2.PNG

Windows 10 Pro x64 – Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.30 GHz – NVIDIA GTX 760

23 minutes ago, Simba said:

Has someone a clue?

I believe you have to set to zero the "Keep with next: [ 1 ] lines"

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

19 minutes ago, Simba said:

No, that's not it. It's not even possible to do that.

It would help to have seen the screen shot with being able to view the paragraph symbol.

Are you using double carriage returns or using space above/below for the visual blank lines?

About the paragraph symbol: Have a closer look. I enabled "Show Special Characters" for the screenshot so you guys can see what's going on in my text.

I use "Space before" with the "Only between paragraphs" option turned on for the blank lines.

37 minutes ago, Simba said:

About the paragraph symbol: Have a closer look. I enabled "Show Special Characters" for the screenshot so you guys can see what's going on in my text.

I use "Space before" with the "Only between paragraphs" option turned on for the blank lines.

Thanks. I had to enlarge the screen shots to see them pesky things.

Would you be willing to upload the file?

3 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I had to enlarge the screen shots to see them pesky things.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 hours ago, MikeW said:

Thanks. I had to enlarge the screen shots to see them pesky things.

Would you be willing to upload the file?

Yeah, I created a sample file. While preparing it, I already found the error. Old Bruce was right after all: "Keep with next" must be set to 0. I was not able to do that. This seems to be a bug. (Doesn't it?) But I could set it to [No change] by simply typing it into the text box. That works. You can try it out in the example file. There are two styles, "Right" and "Wrong". What do you guys think?

I also noticed something else: In "right", try changing the "Spacing before" to 0. You would expect the spaces between paragraphs to disappear, but they don't. Kinda strange.

Thanks to Old Bruce for his solution.

Example.afpub

Edited by Simba

APub is handling this incorrectly.

The screen shot below is using QXP, but ID handles it the same way. All parameters are the same, page size & margins, font & baseline grid. Whether I use the space before as you have it set (1pt which is enough to start a new paragraph to the next baseline grid), lines together or not, the text adheres properly to the baseline.

capture-002597.png.e990046edb8b92393a688c1c06f55467.png

I have to try using stupid settings to get Q/ID to replicate your file when using the Wrong (which is actually correct) p.style.

Serif needs to fix this, I believe.

Mike

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.