You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why is this document such low quality?

It will be pixillated for any magnification beyond 100%. What does it look like at 100%? I am assuming (from the toolbar etc) that you are using Photo.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 2 weeks later...

I saw someone say in a forum that it doesn't matter what zoom you're in, everything's a vector until it's rasterised/exported. I've had this experience in both Designer & Photo, I've exported it at a large sizes & small sizes from different files & softwares and it still exports super blurry. Is there something I can do to make it not so blurry?

41 minutes ago, >|< said:

Affinity Photo (the app in your screenshot above) rasterises vectors at the document pixel density when zoom is 100% or greater and one document pixel is displayed by 25 screen pixels when zoom is 500%.

That explains why it looks blurry (in Photo) when viewing at 500%. But the OP indicated they also have problems with blurry exports. Unless they're also viewing the exports zoomed in I don't think we've explained the export problem yet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Provided that the design you created is actually made of vectors (which is not obvious from the screenshot you provided): Could it be that you have accidentally activated the pixel preview in Affinity Designer? Because, as @>|< pointed out, Affinity Photo will always show vectors as pixels, the exact view depending on the current document settings. If your design won't export as vectors, maybe you have an effect applied to your objects that causes them to be rasterised on export? Also, you might want to check your export settings since there's also an option to rasterise everything there.

In Affinity Designer the View Mode is in Pixels, if that's what you mean. 

For Affinity Photo, I have the 3D & Glow Effect being used and when i export it, regardless of size, the glow becomes pixelated & the lines become jittery. I've tried looking at the export settings & changing them but nothing seems to be working.

Is there a way to fix that?

What is the graphic for, what is it's intended purpose?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Your target size is 500% of your actual size. Why did you not create your document this size to start with? If you can retrace your steps to a pure vector image, you should be able to enlarge this 500% with minimal fuzz (Document > Resize). You can then add the glow or other effects at their target size.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

What is the graphic for, what is it's intended purpose?

wouldn't you like to know... nah jks, I'm trying to make a series of Phone Wallpapers. I'm not trying to export it as a super large image, you know, it's just a phone wallpaper. I just want it to be high quality enough to not be blurry.

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

Your target size is 500% of your actual size. Why did you not create your document this size to start with? If you can retrace your steps to a pure vector image, you should be able to enlarge this 500% with minimal fuzz (Document > Resize). You can then add the glow or other effects at their target size.

John

I've tried making the document bigger (like x15) yet the blurriness & jitteriness of the lines are still very much prevalent, this size is already more than double the intended size

5 hours ago, >|< said:

That makes the Designer view be like the Photo view - rasterised at the document pixel density when zoom is 100% or greater and one document pixel is displayed by 25 screen pixels when zoom is 500%.

The current Affinity apps rasterise all Layer Effects (fx) for export.

What would the solution to your first point be? Just make a larger document?

Apologies if i seem dense, I'm still quite new to this

All these comments emphasise the point that you should always try to design your image at the final target size. This is even more important for a pixel-based image than for a vector-based image. I was being quite serious in suggesting that you start again from scratch at an appropriate target size. You will probably find that it will take you less time than trying to fix something that is clearly broken. Or to re-phrase the old adage: 

"If it is broke then fix it!"

John

11 hours ago, >|< said:

If the work does not look pixelated or fuzzy on the target device (a phone) at 100% scale, why are you worrying about its appearance on a much bigger device (a monitor), especially when zoomed to  500%?

The problem is that it does look blurry/jittery on the phone regardless of image size at 100% scale, I'm still unsure of how to fix that. Do you have any other ideas?

12 hours ago, John Rostron said:

All these comments emphasise the point that you should always try to design your image at the final target size. This is even more important for a pixel-based image than for a vector-based image. I was being quite serious in suggesting that you start again from scratch at an appropriate target size. You will probably find that it will take you less time than trying to fix something that is clearly broken. Or to re-phrase the old adage: 

"If it is broke then fix it!"

John

I don't think I understand what you're saying. I've put the unrasterised lines in different size documents on Designer & Photo, put the effects on it & then tried to export it to the highest/best quality. Are you suggesting that I should start from scratch & redo all the lines on an intended doc size, because i've already done that as well as larger sizes & it's unfortunately been unable to fix anything. Is there anything else you can suggest?

Thanks for bearing with me, you guys

I think that for us to be able to provide you with anything more useful, we would need to have your original file, preferably a Designer file. I presume this would comprise vector layers plus effects layers only. We would also need to know the exact final target size for your phone background image.

John

I just made a new file and tried to use similar effects to what you used. Here is what I came up with:

1769084807_ScreenShot2019-04-04at7_46_06PM.thumb.png.cb0251916fcc2654536e292fcb07d6f5.png

I don't see the pixilation when I zoom up, but I also made sure that I was in vector persona which others here are asking you too. Do you see the problem here? I don't.

I then exported the final piece to the resolution of the iPhone XR:

test.thumb.jpg.f27426a292e3d9aba86df5c171d8eea3.jpg

Both seem to be just fine. I bet that if you go with the suggestions here, it probably all be good. If you can provide the file it will be even better. is it by chance possible that you started with a bitmap file and then applied the effects?