You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying the Beta Affinity Publisher for Mac

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the default relative size of Sub and Superscripts? The are a bit too small. In addition, is there any way to change the default height of Superscripts, and depth of Superscripts? I would appreciate any help anyone can give on this.
Scott

Setting a preference for sub/superscript size/position would be nice. I usually set them a bit larger and lower them a bit in InDesign. Also I prefer to use semibold (that cannot be automated in ID (unless using some fancy search/replace) but would be nice to have in Publisher). 

19 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Setting a preference for sub/superscript size/position would be nice. I usually set them a bit larger and lower them a bit in InDesign. Also I prefer to use semibold (that cannot be automated in ID (unless using some fancy search/replace) but would be nice to have in Publisher). 

I think the super/sub script font & its positioning can be in a character style in ID (should in APub too) and used for the super/sub script numbering. I have tried in ID nor Q (nor APub) but seems it should be possible.

2 minutes ago, MikeW said:

can be in a character style in ID (should in APub too) and used for the super/sub script numbering. I have tried in ID

Yes, as a style, it's easy to apply automatically in ID with an inner GREP to the paragraph styles and a character style. We should be able to apply it in  APub using the regular expressions too. (old automation in ID use scripts for GREP search & replace instead of inner GREP).

But that's why a character style is applied with a regExp in search & replace. Do it can be bolder, higher, red or whatever we want, and we can modify it later.

We can have a c.style for usual superscript, one different for note references, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

AFPUB 1.7.0.292, OS X 10.13.6

I have noted, using the same style text, sometimes a superscript will automatically appear, ex., 23rd <with superscript> instead of without superscript in another text frame - when I am typing it out. Is there some sort of situation that might be predictable (when it will or will not use a superscript?). If not, then it could be some sort of random bug. Using Times New Roman, Regular. One text field used the superscript as I typed, another used normal text - same font, etc.

Now I am trying to replace some 30 instances of the "without superscript" with a superscript using Find/Replace. It doesn't have the feature in replace field to either paste the change (with superscript - it makes the superscript "regular" text) or make the change right in the replace field while typing. It would be handy to be able to a). paste exactly what you copied or b.) enable styles in the replace field. As is, I'll apparently have to do that manually throughout the document. I can search for them, but will have to manually edit to get the final result.

Additionally, the "ctrl-command-plus sign" key combination shown in the Text/Baseline menu does not appear to work on a Mac.What you have to use instead is "Shift-Ctrl-Command-Plus Sign." Seems to be reasonable, but perhaps include the "Shift" arrow in the shortcut shown? And wherever else that might be needed?

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 9.50.11 AM.png

6 hours ago, thetasig said:

AFPUB 1.7.0.292, OS X 10.13.6

I have noted, using the same style text, sometimes a superscript will automatically appear, ex., 23rd <with superscript> instead of without superscript in another text frame - when I am typing it out. Is there some sort of situation that might be predictable (when it will or will not use a superscript?). If not, then it could be some sort of random bug. Using Times New Roman, Regular. One text field used the superscript as I typed, another used normal text - same font, etc.

Ordinals are controlled by a setting in Auto-Correct.
Edit > Preferences > Auto-Correct > Superscript ordinals as they are typed
That is enabled by default.

Why you are seeing apparently random application of that I do not know.

6 hours ago, thetasig said:

sometimes a superscript will automatically appear, ex., 23rd <with superscript> instead of without superscript in another text frame - when I am typing it out.

Is it the same text behaving differently in different frames? That is, 23rd gets superscripted in one frame using font X but not in another frame using font X?

Are the frames setup to use the same Language in the Character pane?

Can you provide a sample .afpub file where that happened for us to look at?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1