You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Since latest update, Publisher is laggy, practically unusable

Hello. finally was able to download and test the newest version 1.7.0.283. Yes, unfortunately, it is still very laggy. But here is the thing, It's only laggy with one particular file. When I created a new document, it was fine. The particular file that was laggy has a lot of embedded images. Would embedded images (and not linked) cause problems by any chance?

11 hours ago, inspiringdesign said:

Would embedded images (and not linked) cause problems by any chance?

Not really as linked files do not work as expected at the moment and they are all effectively embedded no matter what you select (linked or embedded).

I have recently seen a case where one embedded file was causing the whole document to become very sluggish so you may want to upload your troublesome document so support can investigate it further

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I also reported massive slowdown, with the latest build, just watching the beachball, yesterday, not had any response yet

After a few tests I nailed the sluggishness down to a complex vector logo, once I removed the logo, publisher came back to life and back upto speed, it's definitely a bug as the artwork was originally put together 2 or 3 betas back and with the culprit logo in place yet there was no slowdown at all  

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

It seems to be doing the same thing with the latest Designer beta - Hope they fix this soon, Affinity apps have always been really responsive and nippy with complex vectors - very frustrating:S - although nudge and shift nudge works normally even with loads of complex vectors - Just thought I'd try changing Open GL to simple and restart but didn't make any difference?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Yep, very laggy here. Waiting now for it to just  save and close. Every thing I try to do caused the software to pause, go blank for a second and then come back, though the next click causes the same thing

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi inspiringdesign,

Thank you very much for the file. I've tried moving the items around etc using 1.7.0.305 and its generally been fine. The only thing I have noticed is that the yellow brush object (which is made up of many individual curve objects) is very slow when trying to transform that if everything is selected. I selected all of the objects inside that and then used Layer > Geometry > Merge Curves so it is a single curve object and it seemed to respond a lot better.

Would you be able to try for us using 1.7.0.305 and if that is still causing you problems could you do a screen recording using QuickTime and attach it using the original Dropbox link above please? I'd be interested so see the behaviour you are getting, along with which specific object is causing you problems.

I did notice quite a lot of lag when working on a poster, transformations and moving objects with mouse was very slow and not smooth at all. Odd thing was that changing values in the transform panel was not laggy at all. In the end I narrowed it down to a specific font. When I replaced this font with another, things were a lot smoother.

One odd thing about this, was that I created almost exactly the same poster in Designer (app store version) and the font did not cause trouble there, did not cause lag. Perhaps the way fonts are handled is different?

• Staff
16 hours ago, inspiringdesign said:

@Sean P, after installing 1.7.0.305 , the problem seems to be fixed. I'm able to smoothly move objects around again. Do you still need me to upload a video?

Glad to hear the problem has been sorted in 1.7.0.305! No need to worry about the video if its no longer happening. :)

Thanks for getting pack to me.

• Staff
17 hours ago, postmadesign said:

I did notice quite a lot of lag when working on a poster, transformations and moving objects with mouse was very slow and not smooth at all. Odd thing was that changing values in the transform panel was not laggy at all. In the end I narrowed it down to a specific font. When I replaced this font with another, things were a lot smoother.

One odd thing about this, was that I created almost exactly the same poster in Designer (app store version) and the font did not cause trouble there, did not cause lag. Perhaps the way fonts are handled is different?

Could you attach a copy of the document that is behaving slowly along with a copy of the font that you are using that is being slow. Any screen recordings showing before and after changing font would also be helpful!

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Could you attach a copy of the document that is behaving slowly along with a copy of the font that you are using that is being slow. Any screen recordings showing before and after changing font would also be helpful!

Thanks.

I am sorry, but I changed the document and don't have a version with the lag. It was a grungy font with quite a few nodes, so this might have something to do with it. If it occurs again I will post it here.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.