You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash - Adding Text Frames to document

AF Pub: v 1.7.0.257

Mac OS X: 10.13.6

Steps to recreate

1. Create a blank document.
  2. Add 9 pages.
  3. On page 1, create a text frame.
  4. On each subsequent page create a text frame by copying and pasting the text frame from a previous page.
  5. On one page, copy and paste the text frame twice so that you have two frames on the page.
  6. Select one of the frames to move or remove it and the crash occurs.

AF Pub Crash log file

APUB 1.7.0.257 OS X 10.13.6 - 48 GB main memory

I have a 185 page document with approximately 651 photos. The document is 3.37 GB in size and, on open, uses about 2.39 GB of memory.

The situation is a bit dire - crashing after just one or two simple changes, but specific types of changes seem to trigger it 1.) first no response, but you can select things and move frames, etc., but try to add a photo to a picture frame and 2.) the list pop-up window comes up blank or 3.) does not respond at all. If you then use Command-S to save, it's an immediate crash.

Changes that seem to cause the crash:

1. Create an empty text box on a page. Type one character into it. Using the same "text" tool grab a frame handle and change the size. Grab a line of the frame and move the frame. Command-S and - crash. This is repeatable (almost every time with few exceptions). Open document again, create text frame, move it around some and it will crash again. Note: if you do not move the frame, APUB does not crash. You can save it after just typing in text with no problem. Note: If you switch to the "Move" tool after creating the text frame and move it with the "Move" tool, it does not crash when you save. Moving with the Text Tool does cause the crash.

2. Open document and move the text frame of any existing text. Will crash as soon as you save.

3. Note: doing the same with a picture frame does not immediately cause a crash.

4. The crash does not happen immediately - it just does into a reverie and some things you might do seem to work, but, internally, it is primed to crash. For example, I might move some text frame and then replace a picture in a frame - the list of picture files window comes up blank. Then you know that something is wrong. The Command-S is the final straw and - boom.

5. Try this with a brand new document, and it does not seem to crash. So likely has to do with the document size or some internal glitch in the data...

So - is there a way to check to see if the document (database) is corrupted? Is it possible to run the document through a checker to correct any corruption in the data? Could it be a memory problem?

Attaching a crash report. Note that this crash is different than the original poster's crash cause.

APUB Crash Mac 2019-03-28.txt

• Staff

Hi,

Can both of you try the recent beta here and see if it has resolved either of your issues?

@Michael117, I've followed your steps and it didn't result in a crash here, if the new beta still has this behaviour for you I'll look into it, but a video of the steps you are taking could be useful to maybe double check i'm not missing a step you are taking.

@thetasig, If the file still crashes in the latest beta can you upload it here and i'll take a look.

Thanks!

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

7 minutes ago, Jon P said:

Hi,

Can both of you try the recent beta here and see if it has resolved either of your issues?

@Michael117, I've followed your steps and it didn't result in a crash here, if the new beta still has this behaviour for you I'll look into it, but a video of the steps you are taking could be useful to maybe double check i'm not missing a step you are taking.

@thetasig, If the file still crashes in the latest beta can you upload it here and i'll take a look.

Thanks!

I'm not seeing it happen in the 270 version.

Using 1.7.0.283 , OS X 10.13.6

Okay - here is a video showing the crash. Also enclosing the crash report. Additional information:

1. preexisting document with about 195 pages several hundred images and text in frames.

2. Video - Go to page, highlight picture frame, then delete that background image. On same page highlight center text frame, then delete that.

3. Attempt to save through menu File/Save OR Command-S.

4. Immediate crash.

Note - there are other actions that can cause a crash. You can try to add one or two new picture frames or text frames to an existing page. You can duplicate a page of picture frames with images and paste it onto another page. You can drag a text or picture frame from one page to another. You can drag two adjacent pages (pages window) to be placed after another page. It seems that either adding or deleting or moving frames can cause this - editing the text usually does not cause a crash on Save. Sometimes, dragging a frame will cause a crash on Save.

AFPUB frames crash.rtf

• Staff

Thanks @thetasig - Is it possible for you to upload the file you are experiencing this with to the dropbox link above? This link is private and the file will only be used for investigative purposes.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Large/complex file crashes during save

This issue was addressed in beta builds since 1.7.0.293. Please feel free to retest and create a new thread if you think it is not fixed or has introduced unexpected changes.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.