You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resolved - Hyperlink and link buttons on PDF

Affinity Publisher

Just found the add hyperlink in text - interactive.  Tested it out and does all the things I listed and wanted,  Thank you Affinity.  Your products are great.

Hyperlink and link buttons on PDF

Hello Affinity

Love your product have Affinity Photo.

I have been using the beta publisher and have hit a brick wall with a much needed feature that I feel would be a must have if I am to purchase.

I want to be able to place vector drawn buttons that do the following:

Go to another page in PDF document.

Open hyperlinks.

Open videos utube content.

The reasons for this are that I create story driven PDF files that are user interactive.  PDF is great for this as it is small in size, can be opened by any Microsoft windows app and will easily allow rapid text and drawings to be published.  PDF interactive is the way of the future for delivering user driven content and conceptual design for consideration.  Computer game interface design with buttons where the user can click on a button and go to any page in the document and back again.  Adobe does this in their design creation driven subscription based products and are very expensive.  I have been unable to find any other PDF editor that will allow this function, so this would be a big plus for launch.

Thankyou for consideration,

Colin. 

Edited by colin foster
Resolved

On 3/23/2019 at 1:28 PM, colin foster said:

I want to be able to place vector drawn buttons that do the following:

Hello @colin foster,

this is already possible. Just draw a e.g. a rectangle with rounded corners. Place some text on top of it. Group the both. This now looks like a simple button.

Before you do the next step make sure that you have some anchors in your document.

Next click on your button to make it active, go to 'Text > Interactive > Add Hyperlink' and add whatever you want.

There's some drawbacks:

• It is not very intuitive in the context of a vector object to look in the 'Text' menu. This is most likely due to the fact that this feature was added just recently and is not finished yet.
  • There's no way to open the link in a new window (at least I don't know one).
  • Vector objects cannot be made to e.g. change color when hovering over them.

I hope this helps for a start :)
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Thanks for info,

I did eventually find the text hyperlink and tested it out on a pdf and yep works ok.

I really hope Affinity expands upon this interactive feature as my vision is that we could have something like a fully interactive pdf file that the reader could listen to added music sound files, view external content and in document additions.

Features that I would like to see:

Some transition effects like slow fade when a button is clicked to go to another page, like ms powerpoint.

Play a sound file when button is clicked

Play a video when button is clicked

I am going down the road of virtual pdf publications, illustrated story driven content with some interactivity.

Thanks Dominik for getting back to me.

• 4 months later...
On 3/25/2019 at 3:59 AM, colin foster said:

Thanks for info,

I did eventually find the text hyperlink and tested it out on a pdf and yep works ok.

I really hope Affinity expands upon this interactive feature as my vision is that we could have something like a fully interactive pdf file that the reader could listen to added music sound files, view external content and in document additions.

Features that I would like to see:

Some transition effects like slow fade when a button is clicked to go to another page, like ms powerpoint.

Play a sound file when button is clicked

Play a video when button is clicked

I am going down the road of virtual pdf publications, illustrated story driven content with some interactivity.

Thanks Dominik for getting back to me.

Sorry to burst your bubble but pdf does not support music or transitions. Hyperlinks are the most digital feature you'll see in a pdf.
At best affinity could export to html but i wouldn't expect audio/music to be implemented even if this feature were looked at.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

PDF features

Many years ago a group of talented individuals got together and came up with a software product called Affinity Photo.  Affordable professional photo package for everyone, wouldn’t it be really great if developers could create a PDF plus software document creator to meet the growing needs of future consumer publishing.

Print is dead or dying, the future of digital media publishing has never looked better.  Remember it is question of what we can do rather than what cannot be done.  Anything is possible.

Colin for Digital Media Only.