You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unicode tagging of ' (apostrophe) in Find results list

This is not new with 1.7.0.270, as it existed at least in .258, too.

I can't tell if it has been reported before, but if you do a Find and one of the results includes the apostrophe character then it shows up in the results list as <U+2019> instead of showing up as which looks odd and can possibly confuse the user.

image.png.d9b9fa3e0e3a6f25428a888ce60ea4c1.png

(Note: I entered it as a straight apostrophe, ', and Publisher automatically curled it. This is in English text.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 years later...

Is this issue still on the log of issues? I just realized today why Find has seemed unreliable to me until now. Unlike most programs, Publisher won't find a directional apostrophe when you search on a straight apostrophe. Now that I know about it it's easy to work around so it's not a big deal, it just doesn't work the way I expected it to.

Using Publisher 1.93 macOS.

Thanks

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

26 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Is this issue still on the log of issues? I just realized today why Find has seemed unreliable to me until now. Unlike most programs, Publisher won't find a directional apostrophe when you search on a straight apostrophe. Now that I know about it it's easy to work around so it's not a big deal, it just doesn't work the way I expected it to.

The issue was just about the way the results list was displayed, with <U+2019> for a curly single quote rather than the actual character. That seems to be fixed in 1.9.2.

The actual Find processing is still quite literal. If you ask for ' you don't get results that include the character. An option for that seems like it might make a good feature request, though it gets complicated if you consider all the different kinds of quotation marks that exist in various languages.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The issue was just about the way the results list was displayed, with <U+2019> for a curly single quote rather than the actual character. That seems to be fixed in 1.9.2.

The actual Find processing is still quite literal. If you ask for ' you don't get results that include the character. An option for that seems like it might make a good feature request, though it gets complicated if you consider all the different kinds of quotation marks that exist in various languages.

Thanks, I'll file a feature request for the actual Find matching algorithm. The general rule is that Find should match things expansively unless you click Match Case.

Both Microsoft Word and Apple Pages handle it this way. If Match Case is unchecked then typing a straight quote into the Find field will match a curly quote. If Match Case is checked it will not match curly quotes.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.