You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Start document without predefined text styles

One thing that annoys me with text styles is, whenever I start a document I already have some text styles included in the document. However useful this might be in some cases, I never use them, preferring to start from scratch. It would be nice to have the option to start without predefined styles, either as a global option in preferences, or as a document option. 

You could create a new document, delete all the defined styles, and save it as a blank document, e.g., mytemplate.afpub.

For each new document after that, first open mytemplate.afpub, save it under another name, and start working on it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

You could create a new document, delete all the defined styles, and save it as a blank document, e.g., mytemplate.afpub.

For each new document after that, first open mytemplate.afpub, save it under another name, and start working on it.

That is not a bad idea, but still a workaround that is not strictly necessary

2 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Once styles are detached/removed, you can just update the defaults and you will not need to use a template. It's what I did to those pesky (and in my case, never helpful) text styles.

Mike

That was what I was looking for: Thanks!!

Those are the basic ones I've got too after deleting all the styles.

The [no style] ones are default to clean a selection of applied styles.

The Base one, you can use to set the default font of your document, and your other styles can be derivated from it. When you'll want to modify the font of all your styles, you'll only need to modify this Base style.

Usually, we use 2-3 different fonts in a document. Creating 2-3 Base styles with those font can be a good beginning when creating a document, with a Base for body text,  a Base for headers, and a Base for extra frames.

I don't think we have yet a way to replace afon by another one in all Styles, so that's the way I would do it.

This is how mine are. I did create a Normal style...

capture-002596.png.6db25cb6ae3e65d36ebac4f097e3b044.png

But still, there needs to be a means of deleting Unused text styles in any given document. Sometimes when working with a client, they may want to explore various options (more/less leading, greater/lesser type size, a different font for this that or another font style). A document can potentially collect these garbage styles. I don't want to delete one by one.

MikeW, I've got the same but the "normal" style with this version of APub.
I had same styles left as MickRose with previous version.
(And deleting all the styles — same as MickRose screenshot — with the last version give me only: paragraph style [no style] and character style [no style].)

Oups! I re-read your post and notice you created the Normal one, detail  I missed when I read it first :S

3 hours ago, MikeW said:

But still, there needs to be a means of deleting Unused text styles in any given document. Sometimes when working with a client, they may want to explore various options (more/less leading, greater/lesser type size, a different font for this that or another font style). A document can potentially collect these garbage styles. I don't want to delete one by one.

Yes, this is essential. Also I need an option to replace a paragraph style with another. Now, whenever I delete a style, the affected items return to a basic appearance. I want the option to specify a replacement for this style.

27 minutes ago, postmadesign said:

I need an option to replace a paragraph style with another

This is a job for the find and replace studio. enter your old Paragraph Style in the Find field and the new style in the Replace field and replace all. Caveat: Should work, there have been bugs with this in the past.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Not always. An option to replace some items with other ones of the same sort is important too.

Find 'some items' and Replace with 'other ones'. I do agree that it would be (most likely more) useful to be able to choose Paragraph Style X and have it replaced with Style Y all within the Text Styles Studio but until we get that (and the equally useful Delete Unused Styles) a work around is Find and Replace. Although I haven't yet had time to check if it does in fact work in the current beta.

Put me down for a plus one for both the suggestions "Replace Style" and "Delete Unused Styles".

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

21 minutes ago, postmadesign said:

I would like this simple dialog window in Apub too

Yes, that's usefull, and the hierarchical view can help to view dependencies… something I would have find helpfull when needing to delete a hundred of dupplicated style in a document, and since ID ask to replace a style only when it's used in the document or as base for another style, but don't show dependencies, I'll need to spend time searching for them to complete the task :S 

Showing unused colours/styles, etc. and automatically selecting them before deleting them is an interesting option too.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Find 'some items' and Replace with 'other ones'.

For now, I mainly use search and relace with text with missing fonts, and it wasn't a success. (Those missing fonts should be listed is the menu to help). But they'll improve it, like they did adding regular expressions.

29 minutes ago, Wosven said:

For now, I mainly use search and relace with text with missing fonts, and it wasn't a success. (Those missing fonts should be listed is the menu to help). But they'll improve it, like they did adding regular expressions.

Can't you use Publisher's Font Manager for that?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You can delete all the styles, and select [set styles as default] from the context menu... and all the new documents will begin "without" extra styles,

BUT there is a ""No-Style" style, which is probably app-dependent. I send U an afpub doc with the characteristics of this no-style-style A4v.estilo nulo[afpub].afpub , and a screen image of the "Text Styles" studio without any other style than both [No Style] styles.

601071584_pantallazo2019-03-24alas12_15_15.thumb.png.dfc9c2cada69f8b8d6cd02b45135b5b6.png

• 2 years later...

The problem discussed here had been annoying me quite a bit but I just discovered that there actually is a „Delete Unused Styles" in version 1.9.2 – how cool is that?

Now that's been solved I'd think we need a corresponding option for the Colour Palette as well...