You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 4 months later...

Came here to post this.

Custom fields, also known as text variables on other softwares, would be a massive help in template documents.

Currently I have a template (actually just a regular document I copy elsewhere whenever needed since Affinity Publisher does not have a true template function) for my design proposals, and I have to Find & Replace things like client name or project name so it changes across the whole document. If I could define, insert and later edit a field such as client name, I wouldn't have to Find & Replace all the time.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We would love it if Publisher could import data from a file and load it into fields throughout a template document. I know Photo does fields, and Publisher appears to do some pre-defined fields. If we could define custom fields and then populate them with data imported from a file … tab-delimited, csv, json, xml, whatever … that would clear our way to migrating to Publisher completely.

19 hours ago, jmbwell said:

We would love it if Publisher could import data from a file and load it into fields throughout a template document. I know Photo does fields, and Publisher appears to do some pre-defined fields. If we could define custom fields and then populate them with data imported from a file … tab-delimited, csv, json, xml, whatever … that would clear our way to migrating to Publisher completely.

This is a different feature request, and there are already a number of threads in which it is being discussed; in particular this one, which is pinned to the top of the forum containing this thread:

• 2 months later...

I came to make a request for this. It's absolutely needed and extremely useful!! I have several documents that grow over time as new information gets added. 

For example one is a list of Wine Awards—when a new award comes in, I make a new page in the appropriate section and let the following pages shuffle down. Having the ability to define Custom Fields would allow me to set up inputs for repeating subheads (for a subgroup of awards all coming from the same competition for example).

Hoping this makes it into APub 1.8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Im going to +1 this! This is a must have for me, Text variables was probably one of my favorite tools in InDesign for integrating timestamps into a graphic on a template, but if I cant change the formatting of the time, date, paths, names, etc in order to fite the overall design of the spread, it kind of makes the Fields panel useless to me. Im not going to use it if I cant control how it looks

• 5 months later...
On 2/27/2020 at 2:10 PM, MickRose said:

It's not ideal, but you can use the Fields/Document Information panel as customised field variables.

image.png.f4cc031d6e8431e866bed27e8276f9e1.png

I would love to but what variable should I enter in the master page to use the Subject?
I tried:

<Subject>
<Item 4>
<4>

But it does not get changed :(

Thank you!

P.S. just found out; you need do double click on the field label (Subject in my case) and the content will appear where the cursor is on your page: great!

Edited by ugrandolini
found the solution to my own question

Ugo

MacMini with M1 chip, macOS BigSur (latest version), Affinity Publisher (latest version)

Using Affinity Publisher to create photography books – or better "zines" – that I offer on Amazon, check my collection at:
https://www.amazon.com/~/e/B097YBY6MW

On 2/27/2020 at 5:15 PM, fde101 said:

The catch is that then you wind up exporting a PDF which claims its author is "Item 1"...

I can confirm that in 1.8.6 this is fixed and the PDF shows the field content.

Thank you Affinity! :)

Ugo

MacMini with M1 chip, macOS BigSur (latest version), Affinity Publisher (latest version)

Using Affinity Publisher to create photography books – or better "zines" – that I offer on Amazon, check my collection at:
https://www.amazon.com/~/e/B097YBY6MW

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Serif Since v1 said:

is it coming?

Only Serif would know, and they usually do not answer questions like that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 8 months later...