Came here to post this.

Custom fields, also known as text variables on other softwares, would be a massive help in template documents.

Currently I have a template (actually just a regular document I copy elsewhere whenever needed since Affinity Publisher does not have a true template function) for my design proposals, and I have to Find & Replace things like client name or project name so it changes across the whole document. If I could define, insert and later edit a field such as client name, I wouldn't have to Find & Replace all the time.

Thanks!

+1

I'd most likely use custom fields for running headers and footers (e.g. last occurence of "header_1" text style, chapter name) and for custom text variables (e.g. issue number in a magazine)

We would love it if Publisher could import data from a file and load it into fields throughout a template document. I know Photo does fields, and Publisher appears to do some pre-defined fields. If we could define custom fields and then populate them with data imported from a file … tab-delimited, csv, json, xml, whatever … that would clear our way to migrating to Publisher completely.

19 hours ago, jmbwell said:

We would love it if Publisher could import data from a file and load it into fields throughout a template document. I know Photo does fields, and Publisher appears to do some pre-defined fields. If we could define custom fields and then populate them with data imported from a file … tab-delimited, csv, json, xml, whatever … that would clear our way to migrating to Publisher completely.

This is a different feature request, and there are already a number of threads in which it is being discussed; in particular this one, which is pinned to the top of the forum containing this thread:

I came to make a request for this. It's absolutely needed and extremely useful!! I have several documents that grow over time as new information gets added. 

For example one is a list of Wine Awards—when a new award comes in, I make a new page in the appropriate section and let the following pages shuffle down. Having the ability to define Custom Fields would allow me to set up inputs for repeating subheads (for a subgroup of awards all coming from the same competition for example).

Hoping this makes it into APub 1.8

It's not ideal, but you can use the Fields/Document Information panel as customised field variables.

image.png.f4cc031d6e8431e866bed27e8276f9e1.png

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

3 hours ago, MickRose said:

you can use the Fields/Document Information panel as customised field variables

The catch is that then you wind up exporting a PDF which claims its author is "Item 1"...