Came here to post this.

Custom fields, also known as text variables on other softwares, would be a massive help in template documents.

Currently I have a template (actually just a regular document I copy elsewhere whenever needed since Affinity Publisher does not have a true template function) for my design proposals, and I have to Find & Replace things like client name or project name so it changes across the whole document. If I could define, insert and later edit a field such as client name, I wouldn't have to Find & Replace all the time.

Thanks!

+1

I'd most likely use custom fields for running headers and footers (e.g. last occurence of "header_1" text style, chapter name) and for custom text variables (e.g. issue number in a magazine)

We would love it if Publisher could import data from a file and load it into fields throughout a template document. I know Photo does fields, and Publisher appears to do some pre-defined fields. If we could define custom fields and then populate them with data imported from a file … tab-delimited, csv, json, xml, whatever … that would clear our way to migrating to Publisher completely.

19 hours ago, jmbwell said:

We would love it if Publisher could import data from a file and load it into fields throughout a template document. I know Photo does fields, and Publisher appears to do some pre-defined fields. If we could define custom fields and then populate them with data imported from a file … tab-delimited, csv, json, xml, whatever … that would clear our way to migrating to Publisher completely.

This is a different feature request, and there are already a number of threads in which it is being discussed; in particular this one, which is pinned to the top of the forum containing this thread: