You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AI import from Rhino

Hi, 

as an industrial designer I'm using Rhino (Nurbs-Modeling) to create paths from 3D objects which are then handed over to Illustrator. The .ai file exported from rhino is opened by illustrator but not by Designer. It seems like they use something like an older version .AI (attached)

It would be great if the .ai importer is able to read these files. Then I (and some other 3D guys) could drop Illustrator altogether. 

Thanks for considering.

test.AI

• Staff

This might sound like a silly request, but could you supply another test file where the object is in the bounds of the document? This file's contents are all outside the document when I open it in Illustrator. I've got an idea, but can't test it with this test file... :)

• Staff

Thanks for that :)

What I was thinking didn't actually work though :( We would need to add a specific importer for 'old' AI files in order for this to work. It's non-trivial but possible, obviously. I think this would have to come after we've achieved more of our current roadmap, unfortunately, so won't happen soon :(

Thank for the reply! :)  Even if it's not coming really soon, this feature would be very useful.

At the same time, it could be also awesome to be able to import and export in DXF format. This is a quite common exchange format for the industrial design...

• 5 months later...

Hi all, I have the same request and issue.

Another way to include AD in this workflow and open a whole range of different possibilities would be the support of some CAD file formats such as STP, DWG or, best for rhino users, 3DM.

According to the Rhino support they have an SDK for their 3DM files.

As the crew from Rhino are getting the same requests the other way around they apparently tried to contact you guys at Affinity several months ago with no response.

This is really the last tie that´s keeping AI installed on my mac, so it would be terrific to know this feature on your to-do list :)

Keep up the good work! 

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Still eagerly waiting for the ability to edit orthographic documents from Rhino. I'm currently still paying a ton of money to Adobe entirely due to the fact that Affinity Designer doesn't support old Ai file importing.

I started a thread on the Rhino forums, and the Mac developer was very interested in supporting a .afdesign export function but he was not able to find any documentation or SDK that could let them even start.

Here's the thread:

http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/export-to-affinity-document/22871

Please help get this started soon! If this is implemented, I know a ton of other Mac-using industrial designers who would gladly drop their creative cloud subscriptions and adopt Affinity software—you can even charge for a plugin and we won't mind!