You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

March 2019, has the permissions issue with fonts been fixed?

Mac issue: Has the number of installed fonts that prevents Designer from opening files been fixed yet? I cannot be constantly loading and unloading fonts in order to make the app work. Apparently the number of installed fonts causes a "permission denied" state when opening files. Have you pursued any additional contact with Extensis to allow their font manager to work with your apps?

4 hours ago, kanihoncho said:

Apparently the number of installed fonts causes a "permission denied" state when opening files.

Where have you seen or read anything about that? The only thing I have read that is at all related to installed fonts causing problems is with very large numbers of fonts installed, the launch time of the app is increased, sometimes to 1 minute or more.

But aside from corrupted fonts or mis-set permissions, which could conceivably prevent the app from launching at all, I have seen nothing about font files affecting opening a document file after the app is running.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Where have you seen or read anything about that? The only thing I have read that is at all related to installed fonts causing problems is with very large numbers of fonts installed, the launch time of the app is increased, sometimes to 1 minute or more.

It has additionally been alleged to be the cause of some "permission denied" issues on Mac when saving files (or possibly whe opening, too).

For example:

or: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/54191-not-able-to-use-photo-or-designer-failed-to-open-file-failed-to-save-document-sandboxing-skyfonts-issue/&tab=comments#comment-274631

or probably others. try a search for the words
  permission denied fonts
and then select the option in the results for
  permission AND denied AND fonts
to find some more that may also fit.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It has additionally been alleged to be the cause of some "permission denied" issues on Mac when saving files (or possibly whe opening, too).

Thanks for the links. They seem to include a number of different issues, including one or more fonts that are somehow incompatible with Affinity & the number of files (fonts & lots of other types) the app must have open to process documents.

That second issue is due to certain limitations in the Mac OS on how many files can be open at the same time. I don't understand all the details but on my iMac the Terminal command "sysctl kern.maxfiles" says the kernel will only allow 12288 files to be open at the same time. That sounds like a lot but it includes the total for all processes, so a combination of a very large number of active fonts plus all the files the OS must keep open just to function and all each running app must open to function can potentially cause a 'too many open files' error, even when an Affinity app is not running.

I am not sure there is anything Serif can do about that, at least not without affecting performance.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

For me all the fonts have worked fine until I load more fonts. Then no file will open because of the "permission denied" issue. I have to go back and unload fonts until I can get AD to work. This is a recent issue so I can't say what the issue is except for Mac OS X updates. This is a serious problem as I have to load and unload each project's font manually each time I work on a file.

You mention Extensis in your first post, do you use it to manage your fonts? If so just set up a set (or are they still called Suitcases?) for "Affinity-Project 01", "Affinity-Project 02" and so on and put the fonts you want for each project in them and turn them on and off. Not as good as auto activation but workable. I do that with the Mac's Font Book application. Most of my fonts are off and I load the ones I want into a set in Font Book and turn them on and am good to go.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.