You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting PDF produces a thin line around placed image file

I'd check whether the image itself hasn't got the thin black line round it. Open it in an image editor & use very high magnification to look at the edge. If it has you could use the crop tool to remove it.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

30 minutes ago, 3drenderingservices.co.uk said:

I get thin black line in a PDF where an image (either a jpg or png) 

Hi @3drenderingservices.co.uk,

something similar happened to me when the placed images were located at a fraction of pixels. E.g. the left (x) or top (y) position was something like 200.3px. Check the transform panel to see these values.

Could this be the cause?
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

12 minutes ago, dominik said:

Hi @3drenderingservices.co.uk,

something similar happened to me when the placed images were located at a fraction of pixels. E.g. the left (x) or top (y) position was something like 200.3px. Check the transform panel to see these values.

Could this be the cause?
d.

Sounded promising, and I tested your suggestion, but no, it's not that - it's something to do with when rasterising "Everything" (in the PDF Options pre-exporting).

If I choose "Everything" (rather than leaving it as "Nothing"),  that is when and where the issue presents itself.

35 minutes ago, 3drenderingservices.co.uk said:

it's something to do with when rasterising "Everything" (in the PDF Options pre-exporting).

At least you are narrowing it down. Thanks for trying my suggestion.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I can reproduce it. It only appears at certain magnifications in the pdf such as 125% and 400%. It doesn't appear on a printed hard copy though so my guess is that it's a screen driver issue. On the sample pdf I attached it only appears on the car jpg and not on the dancing couple png.

Test.afpub

test.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to say that I am still having exactly the same problem as I mentioned originally, so for me it is not fixed at all (shame as I was happy to learn from Gabriela that it was fixed).  For information, I am on the latest Beta 1.7.0.283.

Export preset PDF Flatten is what I need and chose and the output looks exactly like my first image posted above.

I've just noticed that I didn’t mention that my original post that in my case I’m importing pngs with transparency (though I did mention it happens with Jpgs  too).

by the way, I cannot seem to reply to posts on my windows 10 pc, each time I try, the reply box opens and closes rapidly and I’ve tried this in Chrome and Firefox (this reply was sent via my iPad).

On 3/23/2019 at 2:54 PM, CarlM said:

I can reproduce it. It only appears at certain magnifications in the pdf such as 125% and 400%. It doesn't appear on a printed hard copy though so my guess is that it's a screen driver issue. On the sample pdf I attached it only appears on the car jpg and not on the dancing couple png.

Test.afpub

test.pdf

Okay, now I can send this message via my PC - but I tried for at least 10 minutes beforehand and each time I tried, the reply box opened and closed without allowing me to type anything in here first.  (and this has happened to me now several times).

As far as I can see there is no line ... except when you turn on smoothing / flattening (do not know correct translation) vectors and/or images in your PDF viewers preferences.

Added: Smoothing / flattening vector could be turned on, because sometimes vectors look pixelated. I always turned it off for images, because these thin lines are irritating.

Edited by Joachim_L
Added information

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

I managed to consistently replicate it using that attached PDF, but not from scratch. Any chance you can attach the PNG you have used to create that? 

It seems that Joachim_L has found the issue for you. Thanks :)

Yes, this is the issue as I’d mentioned at the start in my 3rd post in this thread (6th post down).

When you FLATTEN a pdf, necessary in order to reduce its size for the purposes of portability, you pay the price for that by getting these lines appearing - seems Gabriela didn’t test for this.

Do me a favour and turn off flattening / smoothing for vector / images in your PDF viewers preferences and tell me if the lines are still there. I still believe, that there are no lines, it is just a display issue resp. how the PDF viewer renders the page.

flatten1.jpg

flatten2.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.