PDF export: Greyscale document + colour = PDF with colour

Never had this case before.

Step 1: Create Greyscale document

Step 2: Place PDF CMYK + 1 spot colour

Result: Placed PDF displayed in grey

Step 3: Export as PDF, Colour space like document, ICC use document profile

Unexpected result: Coloured PDF CMYK + 1 spot colour

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Of course. I am on build 270.

multi-colour.pdf has 1 spot and 2 cmyk colours.

greyscale.afpub has Colour Format Grey/8 and Colour Profile Greyscale D50. Imported multi-colour.pdf. In the layout multi-colour.pdf is displayed as greyscale. Export with PDF (for print) with Colour Space As Document and ICC profile Use document profile and Embed ICC profile checked.

greyscale-export.pdf has 1 spot and 2 cmyk colours.

BTW: If you save a greyscale Publisher document it has no preview icon in explorer (Windows 8.1).

greyscale.afpub

greyscale-export.pdf

multi-colour.pdf

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Found it. You have to explicitly select Colour space as Grey and ICC Profile to Greyscale D50 in the export to PDF dialogue to make a greyscale PDF. The automatism taking the values from the Document Setup does not work.

Another question: After a document is created and you re-visit the Document Setup there are the buttons for Assign colour profile and Convert colour profile (pre-selected). When is Assign colour profile ever used? Yes, you can select it, but when you re-visit Document Setup Convert colour profile is selected again

------

5 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Found it. You have to explicitly select Colour space as Grey and ICC Profile to Greyscale D50 in the export to PDF dialogue to make a greyscale PDF. The automatism taking the values from the Document Setup do not work.

Would you be so kind as to upload the new exported pdf?

10 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Sure. See attached file.

real-greyscale.pdf

Thanks. Only reason I asked is because APub really cannot export a proper black only plate when there is spot color involved. Simply, when using gray output everything should hit the black-only plate. I hadn't tried in a while, so I tried it again using your APub file (thanks for uploading it, too).

It fails a pre-flight check for various reasons. The spot color plate is still present despite it appearing OK in the PDF. Which means there are a minimum of two plates as it is. However, the CMYK colorant still will separate into all 4 plates unless a print establishment specifically chooses a grey ICC profile. While this corrects the CMYK components, it still leaves the HKS 7 spot plate intact. (Technically, the only gray in the HKS plate is an alternate fill color space. This can be corrected in Acrobat, pdfToolbox & most RIP software used by professional printing establishments.)

Mike

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.