You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash when undocking paragraph panel

Hi there!

I'm not sure whether this is a general bug or limited to the computers at our office: Whenever I try to undock the paragraph panel Publisher crashes without notification and has to be killed via the Windows task manager. Interestingly it does not crash if I try to undock any other panel (e.g. character or layer panel).

Additionally it only happens on Win-10-machines in our office. All Win-8.1-machines are not affected. Initially we blamed the graphics driver, but after having removed the drivers completely and installed them afresh, we come to the conclusion that Publisher might be the cause as the problem persists.

The problem is not limited to a specific document but happens with all existing and new documents.

Windows 10 (10.0.17134), 64 Bit
Nvidia GeForce 940MX (driver version 25.21.14.1935)

Best,
Volker

panel-crash.jpg

51 minutes ago, VolkerMB said:

I'm not sure whether this is a general bug or limited to the computers at our office:

Hi @VolkerMB,

I just tried this with the latest version (270) with language set to English and to German. I cannot reproduce this. It simply works :(

There must be more to this.
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hi there!

I did some more testing and it has become clear, that the problem is most probably related to the localisation of Publisher: The crash does not happen when the Publisher-UI is set to English (UK). If it is set to any other language Publisher crashes (at least on our mashines here).

Best,
Volker

1 hour ago, VolkerMB said:

I did some more testing and it has become clear, that the problem is most probably related to the localisation of Publisher: The crash does not happen when the Publisher-UI is set to English (UK). If it is set to any other language Publisher crashes (at least on our mashines here).

I, too, did some more testing. E.g. with different rendering settings (also an NVIDIA GeForce chip, just a little older) and different things visible (guides, grid, etc.), all in german language. I was not able to make APub crash.

Could you by any chance try if this happens in Designer, too?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Hi Dominik,

whatever I tried, I couldn't get Designer to crash (neither the release version nor the latest beta .258). The issue is limited to Publisher. And with Publisher: The only setting that makes a difference is the language of the UI.

Very interessting: I opened Publisher using the English UI, did not open any document but undocked the paragraph panel (worked fine), then switched to German, restarted Publisher and - boom, it crashed immediately once the program window was displayed!

So my guess is: There is something wrong with the files/data related to localization.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Pauls said:

Could you zip and attach the folder %appdats%\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta) 

Is you native OS set to German as well?

Hi Pauls,

thank for having a look at the issue. I've attached the requested folder. And yes, my native OS is set to German as well.

Cheers!

1.0_(Beta).zip

No, unfortunately APub crashes without any report.

Are you using a Win-10-machine? I'm asking because the Win-8.1-machines I can get hold of do work fine. And it is limited to the paragraph panel - other panels can be undocked without any problems.

No, not at all. All machines at the office are standard laptops without any fancy additions. They just have an external display attached (some colleagues have the internal display turned off). But there are no tools installed that interfere with the display. In particular none of the tools listed by Serif as problematic. 

(Screen recording still pending... sorry for the delay)

Have just recorded the issue using the latest beta .283.

Again, two observations:

1. The crash happens if APub set to any language but English.
  2. Only the paragraph panel is affected. Others work just fine

Me again.

Thanks for the video. I tried again with the latest (283) version and I can't reproduce the crash with language set to german. I looked at your computer specifications. The major difference to my system is that I have 16 GB of RAM and a slightly newer version of Windows (10.0.17763). Of course there are many more differences but these two look the most suspicous. Your graphics driver seems to be even more up to date than mine.

d.

1334245772_systeminformation1.thumb.PNG.a196b4b8d2b5cd11d510a0b681d9e667.PNG

2136343909_systeminformation2.thumb.PNG.e4e5e6cdfbe991faaeeca676361293e3.PNG

• Staff

@SilverBull

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

To all participants, 

Thanks for your input to this thread, we are still struggling to replicate this on our systems, but it is happening to so many that I expect we will soon work out what those who get this have in common (that we do not)

Are you using a screen DPI scaling other than 100%, 125% or 150%?

Do you have one or more than one screen?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

51 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Are you using a screen DPI scaling other than 100%, 125% or 150%?

Yep, that was the right question to ask!

I run my system at a scaling of 115%. Set back to 100% APu does not crash when undocking the paragraph panel. But it does the moment the system is back to 115% (or any other individual scaling factor).

Still two questions remain: Why is only the paragraph panel affected? And why does the crash do not occur when running APu set to English?

Cheers,
Volker

• Staff

Thanks all, that seems to be it.

I've reproduced a crash when setting both monitors to 125% dpi, undocking the panel in any language other than English and restarting the application.

I'll get this logged

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.