You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not my first book, but the first produced with Affinity Publisher

kainote

I know, Publisher is not meant for real work yet. But I couldn't wait. So I made a lot of backups inbetween so I could transfer texts and stuff to another App if needed. But almost everything went well. Sometimes Publisher just closed after an action but it saved the work so no loss there.

My new book is about storytelling. It is the aftermath of a social media campaign from last fall in which I published 30 blog articles about essential storytelling questions. As a teaser I produced 30 dioramas of famous stories and took photos of them. Affinity Photo was a real life saver then.

After the campaign I decided to publish this book with the campaigns content. I used Affinity Designer for most of the graphics and Affinity Photo for my Diorama Photos again. Publisher showed to be reliable enough to produce the whole book with 168 pages and a content worth of 1.2 GB.

I made a video with a short flip through: 

When Affinity Publisher will finally be published I will definitely buy a license. :-)

Kainote 

Hi, 

I am new here on the forum,, 

First, I want to say that english is not my first language so please forgive any mistake.. 

Your book look's very nice.    bravo. .

The reason I am learning publisher is also to produce a photo book.. 

I have a question about photo import.. 

Is there a way to increase the preview size of the photos I want to import. 

When I use the photo import tool, it open the file where are located all the images that I need.. so far no problem.. 

Let say there is 45 photos in the file..   the previews are so small that it is almost impossible to see and choose the picture I need to place . 

Is there a way to increase preview size ?

Thank you !!

JF

Welcome to the forum JF.
The window that opens when you come to choose a photo to import is not part of Publisher but is a part of the operating system - in Windows you get a File Explorer window, and in OS X you get a Finder window.
This means that you should be able to change what you see in that window using the normal methods for that operating system.
The attached image shows the options for Windows 10. I cannot remember what you do for OS X but it will be similar.

windows-10-change-image-preview-size.png

Thanks, JF.

What you want to accomplish is part of your operating system and not a function of Affinity Publisher. If you are in the file picker dialog you will see an icon with a downarrow in the area in the upper right corner of the dialog. Just click on it and you will be able to choose which seize the icons of your files should use.

Kai

Thank you for this fast reply...

I tried a lot of options,, but still can't get the icons to be larger.. 

The file picker dialog box that you mention does not allow to resize icons. . 

I know how to resize icons in preview, but it does not affect the way it open the file when ask by publisher.. 

I will search more.. 

forum screenpic.png

Ah, sorry, the OS X version of Publisher looks like it works differently to the Windows version in this regard. (Seems like the OS X version is a little bit more 'integrated' with the operating system than the Windows version, or something like that.)
You'll probably need an OS X user - or developer - to give you the answer there.
In the meantime, what does the third icon from the left under the words Picture Frame in the Context Toolbar do? (It's the one that looks like a small grid of rectangles.) Does that let you change how the files are displayed?

Publisher crashed very rarely. But I am a very planned guy. 

I know what goes where in the book. I prepare everything upfront in Designer and Photo with file names in a special folder. All pictures are linked and not imported. So I do not have to open the pictures.

So this might be not the normal use case.

• 3 years later...

I absolutely LOVE your book! What a talented artist and graphic designer you are! I am so envious! You went through it quite fast, but still, many good ideas for organizing, display, etc. It warms my heart that you created actual art dioramas and them photographed them. Makes me want to get out my scissors and papers and glue and pens... I think that even a touch of "actual hand-done art" adds a wonderful dimension to digitally rendered creations.

I hope that you will share more of your books/photo books as well as tips for using Publisher for this purpose. I am just getting started so need all the help and inspiration I can get!

Warm wishes,

ElleGee68
Charlotte, NC