You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.tif extension in window and not tiff

12 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Don't know what you mean here, why should you put marks around at all then?

It is generally the case, on Windows, that one can put " marks around a file name in order to prevent the application from modifying it. E.g., if I were to just type

mynamne

in the file name box in the dialog for some application (including Affinity) then the application will change that to, e.g., myname.txt if the file type box says txt.

If I don't want a .txt file, and the application doesn't give me any other choices in that box, then I can type "myname" (with the quotes) or "myname.xyz" and I will get a file withy exactly the name I typed.

I have always thought that to save a .tif file from Affinity I needed to type "myname.tif", and that if I simply typed myname.tif I would get myname.tif.tiff. But for some reason Affinity seems to recognize .tif and does not add on the extra .tiff when I give it an unquoted file name. It's an interesting accomodation, but counter to the behavior of other Windows applications.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

That's pretty implementation and thus app specific and there internal file handling dependent. - There is usually nothing like that behavior you mentioned as a default (see Win Guidelines here, Save File and File Types Lists). - Usually one don't have to quote in GUI apps save/export dialogs, since the file name input there is usually already passed back as a "string" type, which one (the programmer) then works with in the app. Quoting there will give more or less instead this here then. - Instead quoting is general more essential in CLI apps when run in terminal (command line progs), there more in order to overcome possible used space signs in file or directory name paths etc., so to make sure they are handled correctly and coherently.

59 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I have always thought that to save a .tif file from Affinity I needed to type "myname.tif", and that if I simply typed myname.tif I would get myname.tif.tiff. But for some reason Affinity seems to recognize .tif and does not add on the extra .tiff when I give it an unquoted file name...

When dealing and programming in apps with file open/save handling, one has to check for the supported possible different file formats. Thus extracting and cross-checking a passed over file extension is something one has to do there. So for saving, if a given filename has no extension (aka a check for multiple possible string endsWith ".xxx" etc. fails) one is added. If the string already contains (aka string toLower endsWith ".tiff" | ".tif" ) the extension, nothing is added and it's taken as is for saving. ... and so on.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Those are interesting guidelines, but do not completely describe common Windows application processing, in my experience.

In particular (related to your last paragraph), if (on Windows) the Save dialog has a filetype set of, e.g., .txt, and you type a filename of abc.xyz the file you get is named abc.xyz.txt. If you type a file name of "abc.xyz" then you get exactly abc.xyz as the complete filename.

The filetype field usually serves two purposes:

1. It tells the application what format to save the file in; and
  2. It will be added to the end of the name the user types assuming that the user didn't type it at the end of the name already and that the user did not supply the name in quotes.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

These are things you as a programmer have to take care for and handle, that's nothing Win does without telling it to do so. Thus it depends on how you setup and implemented it to behave here. Most things have a default behavior and/or are further customizable, see for example ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

These are things you as a programmer have to take care for and handle, that's nothing Win does without telling it to do so. Thus it depends on how you setup and implemented it to behave here. Most things have a default behavior and/or are further customizable, see for example ...

Thanks. I'm not interested in implementing it. I'm just saying that Affinity is acting unlike any other Windows application I have ever used, with respect to handling the filename field when exporting a TIFF file. And it's a very unexpected behavior, because it is different.

(It happens to be, in my opinion, a useful behavior. It's just different and unexpected.)

-- Walt
PC:

It's the way they implemented it and do the filename/extension handling here. What I referenced previously for you, are the common docs for the MS Windows API way. Which by the way also tell how things should usually behave and be used.

• 11 months later...

I am currently experiencing continual problems is using Affinity Photo and ACDsee Ultimate 2020 as my Dam. Only today I noticed the use of .tiff when selecting TIFF from the Export save type box. In ACDsee their program uses .tif and it appears it places the .tiff files into quarantine and you cannot open/ read Exif etc.

When I open a file in Affinity - such as an older Photoshop file that has .tif extension and do some work, when exporting I cannot save within Affinity as the same file type - there is no option (or if there is I have not seen it), this results in a new file and not overwriting the existing file. 

(Edit) I have further tested this and possibly my error is Exporting the file instead of simply saving the existing file changes - which save as .tif. But anyway my initial problem is still evident and last paragraph still aplies.

Can this be looked at to give an option to save as .tif.

Kevin Prideaux

Edited by kevpride