Chiyonosake013

[By Design] Recoloring layers of the same color but different opacity

I'm not sure if this has been posted.  I did a quick look but didn't notice.  And maybe it isn't actually a bug and I'm just silly.  However I have a document that I was creating images of all the characters supported by custom LCD displays that we use at work.  We have one that is a green background with black text, and then one that's blue background with white text.  So after I finished with all the green, I started to create the blue ones.  I made it so that they actually have all the pixels that you see on the LCD so each character is actually 41 different layers(the backdrop and then the 40 pixels).  When I was recoloring from the green to the blue, I'd select all the pixels to change them from black to white.  If I chose white with the color picker, and then clicked on it to change the colors, then the opacity of the layers stayed the same(I had 100% opacity for the pixels that are "on" and 10% opacity for those that are "off").  However, if I used a swatch, then the opacity that I had set was blown away and everything was made 100% black or white depending.  I did try this on both the Mac and the Windows version and both act the same way.  So maybe I'm just thinking that they should operate differently than they actually do?

On a side note, if anybody wants some LCD fonts... I got 'em. There's a screenshot of the green background.  I know that's from my iPad and not Windows, it was just more handy at the time that I made the screenshot. 

fullsizeoutput_fd6.jpeg

Hi @Chiyonosake013

This is expected. Swatches are actually "presets" of colours, with opacity. If that preset has got 100% opacity, it will overwrite any current opacity. If you want to preserve the current opacity you have, you would have to use the Colour studio. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

6 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @Chiyonosake013

This is expected. Swatches are actually "presets" of colours, with opacity. If that preset has got 100% opacity, it will overwrite any current opacity. If you want to preserve the current opacity you have, you would have to use the Colour studio. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Got it.  Thank you for explaining!