You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good morning, looking for a little help. I have both Designer and Photo. Here's what I'm trying to do...

If I have a picture of red bricks, and I using a black background (working on a flier), what steps would I need to take to get rid of the harsh rectangular outline of the picture and gently fade it into the background. Some more simple programs I have used in the past have a simple button for this, but I can't seem to make anything work. Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Michael140 said:

Good morning, looking for a little help. I have both Designer and Photo. Here's what I'm trying to do...

If I have a picture of red bricks, and I using a black background (working on a flier), what steps would I need to take to get rid of the harsh rectangular outline of the picture and gently fade it into the background. Some more simple programs I have used in the past have a simple button for this, but I can't seem to make anything work. Thanks in advance!

I would use Photo for this. Make your background, import and size the Red Brick layer. Use the selection marquee to drag a selection over most of the Red Brick layer and make the selection a mask using the Mask button on the bottom left of the Layers Studio.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, Michael140 said:

Thanks in advance!

I forgot the most important part! Feather the selection 10 to 40 pixels depending on the resolution of the document and image. Otherwise you will just have a hard edge. Not enough coffee.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Well, I tried that, but still seem to be missing something. I have the black background, and my graphic on top of it. I used the "rectangular marquee tool" to cover most of the brick graphic.. When I immediately click on "Mask Layer" my background goes white, and it keeps going wrong from there. Thanks for any help.

Live Music Graphic.jpg

Hope this helps with where the mask should go.

34907630_nomask2.jpg.b3ca49748c865b1bece06f4e7635f7f2.jpg

slice1.thumb.jpg.1ea75910aac8ce51975265901f548b42.jpg