You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I access installed NIK plugins

I have installed the free version of the NIK collection of presets in the latest non-beta windows version of Affinity, and it appears OK under Edit/Preferences/Photoshop Plugins. There are presets in the tone mapping persona but not the NIK collection; in the photo persona I tried Filters/Plugins/NIK Collection/Color Efex Pro 4 and each time I tried Affinity crashed (not responding) – how do I use them?

• Staff

Hi mike21,
The Tone Mapping Persona is an unrelated feature. To use the plugins you have to go to menu Filers ▸ Plugins ▸ Nik Collection and select the one you want to use. Just make sure a pixel layer is selected (look at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel to identify it).

Regarding the crash, do you mind attaching a screenshot of the Photoshop Plugins section in the Preferences dialog so I can check how you have it set up?
What type/format of image are you working with? Go to menu Document ▸ Convert Format / ICC Profile and check the Format (dropdown) - what says there (you can close/cancel that dialog afterwards).

Thank you. I have attached a screenshot as requested. All of the different plugin “programs” shown in the screenshot are listed under filters/ plugins/NIK collection

They all work except Color Efex Pro 4, which unfortunately happened to be the only one I previously tried each time. When I click on that one I get an hour glass which displays forevever – it is when I click on the hourglass that the Affinity program crashes as not responding and I have to close it. Should Color Efex work?

Plugins.JPG

• Staff

Thanks mike21. Yes it should work. Seems you have installed them in the Affinity default plugins folder. I'm checking if this make any difference/if it's what's causing the issue although I don't believe that's the case. I'm running them from a custom folder and Color Efex Pro 4 is working fine for me (on Windows 10 / Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123/135).

If you press ctrl while launching the Affinity Photo until a Clear User Data dialog appears (keep the first three checkboxes ticked) then press Clear, can you still replicate the issue? You may have to check if Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used is checked in Photoshop Plugins section in Affinity Photo Preferences after the reset.

If I press ctrl whilst launching color efex pro nothing extra happens, I do not get a clear user data dialog, the hourglass appears and then the only way to get something to happen is left click on the screen, which results in a crash. Allow unknown plugins is checked, but this plugin is marked as working, not unknown. My version is as yours - 1.6.5.135. It is odd that all of the others work, including the "unknowns"