You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

17 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Unfortunately it looks like the full version of that program will be subscription-only so as far as I'm concerned it may as well not exist.

Hope the free version will allow SVG export.

Free — fully-featured but with restricted output options and its own file format.

https://scene.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360005508318-Launch-and-Pricing

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Type    x64-based PC

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 10:54 AM, MEB said:

the ability to fill objects with vector patterns

+300 for this feature request

...all the more since the implementation of this feature in Photoline is not really good -- which you see as soon as you try and export that vector pattern and you realize it is made up of zillions of tiny line segments that render terrible and don't line up properly.

Edited by David.P

On 6/19/2020 at 6:19 AM, David.P said:

...all the more since the implementation of this feature in Photoline is not really good -- which you see as soon as you try and export that vector pattern and you realize it is made up of zillions of tiny line segments that render terrible and don't line up properly.

If you report your issue on the PhotoLine Forums and provide a good argument, chances are the devs will address the issue quickly. They are very open to improvements and suggestions, often fixing things by the next beta..

On 3/21/2019 at 7:52 AM, jc4d said:

Hi all,

I'm considering buying Designer but one thing that I can't find is if there is a way to fill an object using vector or patterns. I only find gradients and bitmap.
I know we can duplicate an object to create hand made pattern but I can't then edit the repetitions like if is a bitmap fill.

Cheers,
Juan

Has there been any movement on this request? I really need for my maps.

On 6/19/2020 at 6:19 AM, David.P said:

I checked this, and there are actually two types of vector fills in PhotoLine: ones that work with a formula of sorts (the ones you tried) and custom ones made by converting a document to a pattern. The second type works well, as long as everything is aligned (turn on Pattern preview mode in the View menu)  and the pattern is defined via the document-->Color from document command. Not sure what the issue is with the first type. I did investigate, and the exported PDF did indeed show many small segments. But it printed okay for me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 12:24 AM, pyxelles said:

This is exactly what I need too. It appears people have been requesting for the pattern fill tool for years now. I use symbols for now but when I watch tutorials with Illustrator using the pattern tool where you can change the orientation, symmetry, and repeat type of the patterns, I feel envious of AI users! I also don't understand why up to this point, Serif hasn't the Warp tool and ability to do curved text!

+1 I'm working in cartography and I used to work with Freehand and Illustrator. Both had this function. An absolute must!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 9:58 PM, evtonic3 said:

Let's hope the pattern making capabilities are at the forefront for the devs this coming year. I hate to admit that the AI for iPad has some nifty ways of making them and also a very intuitive radial repeat function.

Yeah, the iPad AI seems to have better pattern functions than even desktop AI. The main problem with these Adobe iPad apps is that none of them, neither the legacy or the new ones, support CMYK. So... we're kind of stuck when it comes to print patterns on the iPad. This is an area where Affinity could do a quick 'land grab'.

Getting a proper vector pattern editor, both in Desktop and iPad, would help Designer's adoption a lot, I mean a lot, a lot. For example, I have a client that I could fully migrate to Designer if it had vector patterns editor. But without it, there's no way out of Illustrator for him, it's as simple as that.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for this - its absence is why I cannot move from Illustrator to Affinity Designer. I use this all the time for architectural drawings, and maps & plans. Without it I just cannot do this type of work. It seems like a very big omission to me and relegates Affinity Designer, for all its strengths, to an amateur tool in comparison to Illustrator, and it pains me to say that!

On 7/29/2020 at 11:04 AM, LCamachoDesign said:

Yeah, the iPad AI seems to have better pattern functions than even desktop AI. The main problem with these Adobe iPad apps is that none of them, neither the legacy or the new ones, support CMYK. So... we're kind of stuck when it comes to print patterns on the iPad. This is an area where Affinity could do a quick 'land grab'.

Getting a proper vector pattern editor, both in Desktop and iPad, would help Designer's adoption a lot, I mean a lot, a lot. For example, I have a client that I could fully migrate to Designer if it had vector patterns editor. But without it, there's no way out of Illustrator for him, it's as simple as that.

Exactly!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 4:58 PM, Rondem said:

Hope the free version will allow SVG export.

It does. Just copy from Cavalry, paste in your Affinity document and delete the watermark layers.

Windows 10 Home 64 / AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.6 GHz / Asus Prime B350-Plus / 32 GB RAM / GeForce RTX 3060 12GB with latest studio drivers
Affinity Suite V2 latest official versions

7 hours ago, M1000 said:

It does. Just copy from Cavalry, paste in your Affinity document and delete the watermark layers.

Thx.

I've tested it the moment 1.0 was out :D

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Type    x64-based PC

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 9:46 AM, jc4d said:

Hi MEB,

Thank you for your reply. Although symbols are a very powerful feature is not what I would need to accomplish the task.

I work as 3D visualizer and sometimes I get from clients ready render where I need to put e.g. on a wall lines simulating wood panels, and here I would need a vector fill with the ability to change the size exactly like the Bitmap in the fill tool behave. I'm aware of the Procedural texture available in Photo beta, but I would love to have the vector power of that feature over Designer.

PhotoLine has this feature where the user can add/create any pattern and the objects will fill with it in a extremely easy way. Maybe it worth for you to check it out, because I'm an Serif products sucker :D

Could this topic be moved to feature request?

I agree, This would be MOST useful for Fashion Designers!! Please add to the program.

• 2 weeks later...

I've probably already done a +1 on this post but here's another for 2020

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 month later...

This may be a useful technique:

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk