You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am rather shocked that there has been such a major upgrade to the software which doesn't include something as fundamental as vector fills. I really want to be able to use this product, but I simply can't without vector fills. How are you expected to use it for any form of serious design work/illustration if you can only fill objects with a shade of a colour, or an image (raster element)? To me this is a totally fundamental shortcoming.

Very disappointing but given the absolute silence on this feature in the past it seems clear that Serif just don't understand how basic and essential a feature this is, and will presumably now never deliver it.

25 minutes ago, Comet said:

I am rather shocked that there has been such a major upgrade to the software which doesn't include something as fundamental as vector fills. I really want to be able to use this product, but I simply can't without vector fills. How are you expected to use it for any form of serious design work/illustration if you can only fill objects with a shade of a colour, or an image (raster element)? To me this is a totally fundamental shortcoming.

Very disappointing but given the absolute silence on this feature in the past it seems clear that Serif just don't understand how basic and essential a feature this is, and will presumably now never deliver it.

You know, thinking about this thread yesterday when I saw the update

If you would make a pattern Illustrator like, by selecting sth and then making a pattern out of it, perhaps this is a sufficient workaround:

I was thinking, if you use a lot of fills, save every fill as a vector file (pdf or designer or ai or even dwg) that is for example A5 size, then when you need that pattern simply import and use masks to fit it into the shape you want hatched?

An actual tool would be better of course, but I can't believe this one really crossed my mind only yesterday for the 1st time.

I gave up on the Affinity suite about a year ago when I realised the features that are essential to me like vector patterns, vector brushes, a friggin measuring tool and others were not coming any time soon. 

I got excited when I heard V2 was coming, expecting that at least 1 of my desired features would finally come… yet there is nothing, out of my 6 wanted features none of them came in V2. 
Gutted

Already wasted enough money buying V1.9 won’t pay for V2 or any version until basic features become available….

I’m sticking with Adobe and not sure I can bothered making a transition again after my horrific 1.9 experience. 

It really is a shame because I love the product, publisher is incredible… it shits all over indesign. Designer has a lot of features I love and Photo is great too. 
Guess we’ll see how V3 turns out another decade from now. 

In hind sight I should have, but am wishing/

9 hours ago, Garikarp said:

You know, thinking about this thread yesterday when I saw the update

If you would make a pattern Illustrator like, by selecting sth and then making a pattern out of it, perhaps this is a sufficient workaround:

I was thinking, if you use a lot of fills, save every fill as a vector file (pdf or designer or ai or even dwg) that is for example A5 size, then when you need that pattern simply import and use masks to fit it into the shape you want hatched?

An actual tool would be better of course, but I can't believe this one really crossed my mind only yesterday for the 1st time.

'Tried this before and it's cumbersome - for me.  Also - Unfortunately, this won't work for my work or customers.  I need a real object pattern fill - especially one that I can distort with mesh/shaping.  

I'm hoping that with the new redesign release with the gee whizz items (Quite good ones, mind you!) that they can catch up with the basics that appear to be driving away some customers.

I so much want to like this product - it is very good in many ways - and would love to be able to buy (and use) it, but the absence of what to me is a REALLY fundamental feature stops me from doing so. I would never use it, even if I did buy it, for this one reason.

I am literally bemused that anyone can introduce a major update of a drawing application which still lacks vector/pattern fill of objects. It is surely a very basic and essential thing to be able to create hatched objects and the like.

There is not even any indication ("coming soon") that this feature will arrive in the future.

Comet

I am literally bemused that anyone can introduce a major update of a drawing application which still lacks vector/pattern fill of objects. It is surely a very basic and essential thing to be able to create hatched objects and the like.

I guess you waited a decade or more for Illustrator to get vector pattern fill, I do not remember it in version 8. 

Hi, I have been in this post for a long time. I bought the V2 and I do use it, not but Photo that for some reason I still buy it but still using a monthly paid PhotoShop as the features of Photo are really nice but the normal photo retouch quality isn't enough. Once say that I have been applying for this pattern fill for long time but also for a real vector brush, a simple thing like making a badge can be really tedious when with a vector brush it's just a click in the same way as vector fill works. I'm close to be retired so I don't mind much about it now, but those are a couple of features that I have being using for years, many, in my graphic work. Thought that i would see it in this version 2 and must admit that has being really disappointing not to have them. Thank you for the hard work to all the Affinity team but those features are really needed.

13 hours ago, norvald said:

I will hold off buying v2 until they give us Vector Patterns.

Same. Add the basic features the community has been asking for since 2019, then I'll consider re-buying your software, Serif.

Honestly, I'm kinda happy that they're making some progress with releasing V2, but it does not meet expectations for a new release. It's definitely better than the radio silence we had for months (years?) though. But still, what I think Serif needs is to be more transparent with their community. Respond to posts more, let us know what features are in the works, and explain why some aren't and when they will be.

I think there should be some kind of "Patreon-like" monthly subscription where users that want to can fund the development of Affinity software, and get some perks for it - like the ability to vote on features. This would solve 2 problems - insufficient funding, because of their single-purchase model, and the community feeling left out of the development process. I think it would be pretty good for everyone all around.

Reading this thread, it appears that vector patterns still aren’t supported in Designer V2. Disappointing!

As an Illustrator user since version 1.0 – yes! I'm that old – and having worked as a designer at Aldus- the original owners of FreeHand – there are some basic concepts of vector drawing apps that I've grown up with. Being able to create and apply patterns within a document being one of those things.

I like to keep my designs live, and contain all the elements within one document. Having to export patterns as a PNG and then bring them back as a fill, is really clunky. I so wanted to fall in love with the new versions of these Affinity products, especially as the Shape Builder tool finally made an appearance in Designer. However it already feels like they're going to sit on my digital shelf for the next few years gathering dust.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, justinsideris said:

Better late than never to the party. I ran into a situation where this would also be an invaluable feature to see happen. The quality of vectors just cant be beat imo so hopefully this happens soon. :fingers-crossed:

There will be no more feature enhancements for version 1 of Affinity Suite.

Vector fill is included in Affinity Designer V2. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

41 minutes ago, Dave Vector said:

Can you please tell us where you find the vector fill in Affinity Designer V2?

This is one way: https://affinity.help/designer2/en-US.lproj/pages/ObjectControl/floodingAreas.html

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

39 minutes ago, Dave Vector said:

@Komatös Can you please tell us where you find the vector fill in Affinity Designer V2?

I'm obviously not @Komatös but I think the reference is to the Vector Flood Fill Tool in the Tools panel. If it isn't showing in that panel you can add it via View > Customize Tools. The icon looks like a paint bucket.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I'm obviously not @Komatös but I think the reference is to the Vector Flood Fill Tool in the Tools panel. If it isn't showing in that panel you can add it via View > Customize Tools. The icon looks like a paint bucket.

I could not have described it more beautifully. :D

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

5 minutes ago, Komatös said:

I could not have described it more beautifully. :D

I wonder, though. This topic is about Vector Fills, but the Help for this new function includes this: 

• vector designs—from vector assets stored in the Assets panel. Note that these are converted to bitmap fills.

So this still does not seem to give us vector pattern fills, that remain vectors.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ok, I just wanted to be clear about this, because this post is mostly about the ability to make a vector-based pattern and fill a shape with the vector-based pattern.

I did not want someone new to the thread to think that this request is included in Affinity Designer V2.

But yes, a tool called Vector Flood Fill does exist and will let you fill with solids, gradients, and bitmap fills.

12 hours ago, Dave Vector said:

Ok, I just wanted to be clear about this, because this post is mostly about the ability to make a vector-based pattern and fill a shape with the vector-based pattern.

I did not want someone new to the thread to think that this request is included in Affinity Designer V2.

But yes, a tool called Vector Flood Fill does exist and will let you fill with solids, gradients, and bitmap fills.

Quite. As always, proper vector fills (filling a vector shape with a vector pattern) is a pretty fundamental feature. That is the subject of this 13 page post. The lack of this feature if you need it (as I and many others do) makes it impossible to transition to the otherwise capable AffinityDesigner.

The whole point of using a vector illustration package must be to be able to do everything with vectors. Hatching using a bitmap fill, for example, is definitely no substitute.

• 4 months later...

+1 vote for a vector fill pattern feature to be implemented into Affinity Designer as well.

I found using bitmap fills as a workaround unideal as it requires more steps and is ultimately not as easy to edit as Illustrator's Vector Pattern fill feature.

I certainly hope this feature is later added to Affinity Designer V2 if it hasn't been already (I'm still using V1).

25 minutes ago, DDesignDude said:

I certainly hope this feature is later added to Affinity Designer V2 if it hasn't been already (I'm still using V1).

It has not (yet) been added to V2 but if you want to add your support for that, try the Feedback & Suggestions forum. Leaving a "+1" here in the Questions forum won't do much good since the developers as a rule do not follow topics here since that would take time better spent on actual product development.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7