You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I seem to remember under an earlier operating system [Mac version 8] that Adobe bought out a couple of plug-in developers to gain envelops and patterns, if those developers were still around maybe they could develop those features for Affinity. 

Another deal breaker is CSS // HTML //  XML  functionality in the suite. This would give a few things going forward, ePub and accessibility and a superior form of data merge with GREP. The Accessibility component is necessary to meet the 10 year old requirement to provide this.

5 hours ago, Boldlinedesign said:

I encourage you to check out Vectorstyler

I must say it looks fantastic! With a lot more functionality over AD. Thanks for sharing. The Ui looks a little cleaner and clearer too, nice!

But I don't really want to fork out more money to support my Affinity suite when I might just return to Adobe anyway. If vectorstyler offered a complete suite I might think about it more.

Got my fingers crossed for Affinity 2.0.... unless I give up before then.

On 10/31/2021 at 8:21 PM, ra.skill said:

… I don't really want to fork out more money to support my Affinity suite when I might just return to Adobe anyway. 

^ What they said.
Affinity Designer lacks absolutely fundamental features for all users (e.g. 'select' ignores locked layers, the ability to designate non-printing layers when created). It lacks absolutely fundamental features for print design (e.g. vector fills).
As documented on these forums it has lacked these things -- and far more -- for years.
You can find work-rounds, you can buy add-ons, but honestly, as long as you pay Affinity for what you're getting, that is exactly what you will get. There's no incentive for them to add these fundamental features. 
I'm awaiting a quote for repair of the mac that will run CS6. If it's not economic I will bite the bullet and pay Adobe for software that does what I need. 

On 11/2/2021 at 12:12 PM, Dalibor Puljiz said:

Actually, I kinda like this one :)

I want to change the thickness of the 1pt roads to 1.2pt but you can't just select all the 1pt roads on the 'Roads' layer because Select All also insists on selecting the 1pt tree branches on the 'Trees' layer AND the 1pt lines on the 'Buildings' layer. If I select all the 1pt black lines I don't get the lines  'Trees' instead I get the plot boundaries.  It's insane. If you want to work with unlocked layers, just... leave the layers unlocked.

On 10/12/2021 at 12:46 PM, Dazmondo77 said:

For people that need this feature now, I'd recommend VectorStyler as a companion app - it has practically all missing standard features that are missing from designer such has highly editable live vector pattern fills, Real vector brushes and all manor of non destructive vector distortions just to name a few features that I use regularly - the interface isn't has user friendly as Affiinity but we could be waiting another seven years for some of these features to make it to Designer. for me, VS paid for itself in a couple of uses, just used it today to distort a logo for a Vinyl LP record label in a few minutes   

I am intrigued by this software, but why is there so little information out there about it?  I know it is pretty new, but if it was really good I would expect to see more content on you tube and other places about it.

I have been following this thread and also interested in using VectorStyler alongside AD. Today I found a 69% off promo deal and thought I would share incase anyone else was interested. I contact the folks at VectorStyler before I purchased and they confirmed the deal was legit.

deals.bluetailcoupon.net/sales/vectorstyler-professional-illustration-software

Hope it's ok to share. I have no affiliation whatsoever.

43 minutes ago, SureWeb said:

I have been following this thread and also interested in using VectorStyler alongside AD. Today I found a 69% off promo deal and thought I would share incase anyone else was interested. I contact the folks at VectorStyler before I purchased and they confirmed the deal was legit.

Well, thank you, @SureWeb!  That was my tipping point.  I just bought a copy now...  I purchased with PayPal so no need to give credentials to BlueTailCoupon.net.  The download link they provide points to the VectorStyler.com official website, and the License code worked without a hitch.

Wow the coupon discount site thingy is legit, everyone who needs a pure vector workflow needs to grab VectorStyler now

1 hour ago, Dave Vector said:

Well, thank you, @SureWeb!  That was my tipping point.  I just bought a copy now...  I purchased with PayPal so no need to give credentials to BlueTailCoupon.net.  The download link they provide points to the VectorStyler.com official website, and the License code worked without a hitch.

However, the first AI file that I opened is already garbled up, as opposed to be opened by an Affinity Designer.

I'd recommend opening in Designer then copy pasting into VectorStyler for advanced warping and wot not, well that's the way I'm using it, kind of like a plug-in for all the missing basics, copy pasting back into Affinity for layout (I use Pub StudioLink 95% of the time) 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

2 hours ago, SureWeb said:

Oh wow, that buy is a no-brainer.

It's also interesting how Affinity Designer is a 10x larger download size than VectorStyler. Talk about effective coding!

10 minutes ago, David.P said:

Talk about effective coding!

< pedantry >
You’re talking about efficiency, not effectiveness!>
< /pedantry >

Setting aside any pedantic quibbles, it seems only fair to point out that each of the Affinity apps has to understand the other apps’ features, even if there’s no UI exposed for tweaking them. If VectorStyler offered the same range of features as Affinity Designer, the installer still wouldn’t need to be as big.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, SureWeb said:

Hmmm. I tried to use the coupon site to buy VS at the reduced price but it would not let me use Apple Pay (there is button for that) because it kept telling me I had to enter my first & last name, which I had done multiple times.

Anybody else tried to use Apple Pay for this? If so, did it work OK for you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If VectorStyler offered the same range of features as Affinity Designer, the installer still wouldn’t need to be as big.

Which installer do you mean? From what I can tell from the Mac system requirements on this page, MacOS 10.11 (Big Sur) or above is required. I suspect that if VS supported all the same earlier macOS versions as AD, it would require more installed code, but I have no idea how much that would change the installer size.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Which installer do you mean?

I was referring to the installer for Vector Styler, suggesting that it can’t really be compared directly with the installer for Affinity Designer (or, indeed, any of the Affinity app installers).

Alfred spacer.png

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Which installer do you mean? From what I can tell from the Mac system requirements on this pageMacOS 10.11 (Big Sur) or above is required. I suspect that if VS supported all the same earlier macOS versions as AD, it would require more installed code, but I have no idea how much that would change the installer size.

Well first of all MacOS 10.11 isn't BigSur instead El Capitan, secondly El Capitan allone isn't an indication for a correct working of VectorStyler here, since the hardware CPU/GPU must also meet certain conditions. - For example, I use El Capitan on a pretty old iMac, on that computer VectorStyler never worked and always cored, even the first VS betas long time ago never worked. -- So the built-in and used CPU/GPU aka hardware conditions also play a big role for VS here, even on the oldest named supported MacOS 10.11 system!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

34 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I was referring to the installer for Vector Styler, suggesting that it can’t really be compared directly with the installer for Affinity Designer (or, indeed, any of the Affinity app installers).

Thanks! I just noticed that at least for the trial version I just downloaded, Big Sur is not required -- it seems to be running more or less OK (if a bit sluggish) on my iMac running Catalina. Some things do not seem to be working but that could just be because I am not familiar with how they should work.

Affinity Photo 

47 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well first of all MacOS 10.11 isn't BigSur instead El Capitan

Doh!!! Thanks for the correction. I don't know what i was thinking when I read "10.11" on that page.

Affinity Photo 

27 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I don't know what i was thinking when I read "10.11" on that page.

Presumably you saw “11” and thought, “Oh, version 11 is Big Sur!”

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

Presumably you saw “11” and thought, “Oh, version 11 is Big Sur!”

I think I just wasn't thinking.

FWIW, I finally managed to get the coupon site to let me buy the VS app, but the site does not seem to work very well with Safari on my iMac running Catalina.

I have also noticed that in the app itself quite a few things do not update until an "OK" or equivalent button is clicked, so it seems much more 'modal' than Affinity. Changing some parts of the UI also lag a bit, so I wonder how much Metal/GPU acceleration really is being used.

Affinity Photo 

11 hours ago, Dalibor Puljiz said:

I just bought that software, too, without even trying it out first.

However, the first AI file that I opened is already garbled up, as opposed to be opened by an Affinity Designer.

I guess it could be useful in design tasks, if you guys say so. 30 bucks is really not much.

I would not judge the entire usefulness of any app on your first and only attempt to use it. In this case, Vectorstyler offers many more features and tools than Designer, so to dismiss it as something for only small design tasks is interesting.  It's possible whatever "garbled up" the design in VS could be fixed quickly and easily by the developer. I'd encourage you to send him the file if you are willing and able - he is very receptive to input, issues, fixing bugs, etc. Unlike with Designer, updates in VS occur weekly

1 hour ago, ra.skill said:

Pretty sad that people are so unsatisfied with AD that this thread has essentially turned into a sales platform for VS. 

If Serif were smart, they would, (read their own forum) and give their, paying customers the features they have repeatedly requested.