You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I again sit frustrated needing a pattern fill and have no easy way to perform it.  I have to create it in Inkscape, do a screen capture and then paste the needed work into my diagrams - which has to be done for each version of my diagrams.   Grrrr.  Can Affinity say yes or no that this feature is even being considered for a fix!?!?

10 minutes ago, D.E. Main said:

I again sit frustrated needing a pattern fill and have no easy way to perform it.  I have to create it in Inkscape, do a screen capture and then paste the needed work into my diagrams - which has to be done for each version of my diagrams.   Grrrr.  Can Affinity say yes or no that this feature is even being considered for a fix!?!?

Why use a screen capture, throwing away the advantages of using a vector pattern? If you can’t create the same thing in Affinity Designer, you should at least be able to open an SVG file saved from Inkscape and clip it to the shape you want to fill.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 minutes ago, D.E. Main said:

Thanks - Fair point.  I tried creating in Inkscape and then copying/pasting... wrong approach.  I'll try the save as SVG.  But I'll still need to do this for each version of my diagram that has a different shape and fill.

Just tried.  For some reason, it won't import from Inscape as a filled svg object.   Still trying...

55 minutes ago, D.E. Main said:

Just tried.  For some reason, it won't import from Inscape as a filled svg object.   Still trying...

That sounds very trying indeed! When you import it into AD, what do you end up with?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I too would really love this feature, it's one of a few that would allow me to work entirely in Affinity's apps.  Currently I just go into Illustrator and throw down a shape, do a pattern fill, and expand it.  Copy > paste it into Affinity, create a mask, and pop it into place.  It comes in as vector and everything (doing this on a Mac).  Some cleanup is necessary, and it's really not ideal but it works for simple uses.

Since there are several threads of this same topic going around, someone also linked to this:

https://www.lostminds.com/patternodes2/

I'm considering using this as an option and am giving the trial a shot, would be great to have something similar built into Affinity itself.

Patternodes and Vectoraster are fantastic for creating vector patterns, halftones and line/shading effects (I was using the brilliant Astute Graphics Phantasm Illustrator plugin previously).

I agree, I’d love for these features to be included within the Affinity apps as these endless and ever increasing workarounds are becoming tiresome.

On 6/22/2021 at 10:30 PM, Bryan Rieger said:

Oh, and if you want a simple, FREE cross-platform, web-based halftone generator check out Project Hello Halftones (from Adobe). You can choose the shape used, set the distance, change the colour and download the results in JPG, PNG, and SVG.

Wow, thanks for this link! This is an incredibly easy and fast way of vectorizing bitmaps (i.e. rasterizing, but using vectors) -- particularly ones that are hard to autotrace.

I've had excellent luck with VexTractor.  've even loaded complex land use/property maps from web page screen shots and gotten excellent vector files with little noise.  These were readily opened with Affinity Designer and edited there. 

On 5/7/2021 at 12:05 PM, Alfred said:

That sounds very trying indeed! When you import it into AD, what do you end up with?

I ended up with a picture/image with no fill.

FINALLY - I've decided to revert to my old copy of SERIF DrawPlus 8.  It does everything I want in vector fill.  (Importing image into Designer does not work.  You just get an image.)

So for now, working on my book wholly outside of Designer and waiting for the someday when basic Vector fill function is included in Designer.  

• 2 weeks later...

There is a (very) rough workaround by using creating clipping-masked squares/rectangles/tileable shapes and converting them to symbols, then tiling them over and over again. That’s pretty much what at pattern fill is, but AI streamlines the workflow and manual adjustments over so you can work faster. I don’t know when we’ll see such a feature implemented in Affinity apps as it’s been years since this feature was first requested. 

Sorry - I know about and have tried this workaround.  But with hundreds of figures to do (not counting rework from Customer feedback) - this is downright impractical. 

Odd that this basic feature has been requested for years and although Affinity Photo has such a feature, it remains unsolved for Designer.  So, I will be using Serif Draw until I find a different product that fulfills my Production needs.

• 2 weeks later...

We'd really like to abandon AI but it's 100% not happening cause the vast majority of our work consists in making patterns. Although we consider Affinity Deisnger a better software we can't make the switch cause it'll slow us down a huge amount without a solid pattern fill tool : \ 

Just leaving the feedback cause we hope it gets introduced soon, we'll definitely foresee  a party when it happens!

Pattern fill is painfully missing. It should be a feature added before 2.0. It is crucial for web design mock-ups. I have done the Symbol+power duplicate for making a theme/UI elements that are static size and it works OK but unnecessarily time consuming for higher res images. It is not at all practical for images/UI elements that need constant resizing during experimentation. I use the bitmap when I can, but haven't found a way to get it to set at 1x1 fill (original size)... Instead I have to manually scale to what feels right and that's not showing the "real world" usage of that image. It's useful in other aspects, but not this particular use case.

• 2 months later...