You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

16 minutes ago, David.P said:

However it goes totally over my head how this guy did it (see his video attached below).

Hello @David.P,

the video does not really explain how the pattern is set up. It shows that you can live change the pattern.

Try this:

• In Publisher beta create a new document and switch to the Data Merge Layout Tool (DMLT).
  • Drag on the page and you will get a grid. In the toolbar you can type in the dimensions of the cells (they obviously have to be the same size) and the number of rows and columns. For a start 3x3 is fine.
  • With the grid still active switch to a vector tool, e.g. the rectangle tool. Click inside the top left most cell and create a rectangle. You will see that in all nine cells the shape is created simultaneously.

That is basically it. You just have to make sure that all objects in the pattern are 'under' or better 'inside' the DMLT. If you just paint above it it won't work.

In the video you see practical uses of that with a smaller cell size and more repetitions. And even a rotated grid.

I hope this helps. Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1 minute ago, David.P said:

that sounds as if there actually is a workaround for vector pattern fills in Designer.

Yes, it's a little strange 'abuse' of the Data Merge Layout Tool but basically it's the same technology (I asume). There is one thing missing, though. The tool does not 'wrap around' the borders. So if you want an object to extend outside the borders of a cell it does not show up automatically on the opposite side. You can overcome this by creating a sibling object on the other side.

The latest APh beta introduces 'pattern layers' that have this functionality already. But they only work with pixels for now. I assume vector pattern layers in AD are around the corner.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

4 hours ago, David.P said:

This looks great and indeed is a vector pattern fill.

However it goes totally over my head how this guy did it (see his video attached below).

Thankful for any explanation,

David

Sorry David P I posted the wrong link at the beginning of my post about the technique - here is the link that features a couple of screen captures which explain how to setup the data merge cells and the work around for drawing overlaps: 

I realised in the above links I have guides switched off which makes it a little harder to illustrate the technique, so I've just done another grab 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

3 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

I realised in the above links I have guides switched off which makes it a little harder to illustrate the technique, so I've just done another grab 

Screen_Grab_2020-11-16_at_14_30_24.mov

Thankyou @Dazmondo77,

the video very nicely accompanies what I tried to describe in words a little above.

d.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 10:46 AM, jc4d said:

PhotoLine has this feature where the user can add/create any pattern and the objects will fill with it in a extremely easy way. Maybe it worth for you to check it out, because I'm an Serif products sucker :D

While we are waiting for a vector fill function to appear in Affinity Designer, does any of you guys have a tip on how to get as close as possible to that ingenious function of PhotoLine:

"Fill function: Can now optionally create a vector layer"

...i.e. a fill bucket that fills areas of bitmaps with vector fills (!) and creates a new vector layer for this purpose -- totally brilliant.

I am aware that probably no other program can do this at the moment, therefore I'm looking for a simple tool that can fill unicolored (say, empty white) areas of bitmaps with bitmap hatch lines, whereby this bitmap hatching however must be renderable with variable width, and with high resolution. Thus, it is not sufficient if the hatch lines are 1 pixel wide, as is the case with most bitmap editors.

In other words, how do I fill a uni-colored area of a bitmap with a high-resolution, scalable bitmap hatch -- ideally with variable line width, variable angle, and variable spacing?

Thanks for any ideas on which graphics/bitmap editor can do this!

I recently did a job where, to fill an object with a pattern, I had to hand-assemble the pattern. And then, because the pattern needed to be warped to suggest a contour, I had to rasterize it, export to Photoshop and warp it there (Yes, AP might have done, but I was on deadline and I'm more used to Photoshop). And then, because I needed to be able to manipulate the pattern as vectors, I had to re-vectorize it in Image Vectorizer (which did a pretty lousy job). The whole thing took almost a day. Part of the time was spent in experimenting with drawing vector shapes to my own custom guidelines - a failure. Vector fill patterns, and even more, Vector Warp would have saved me hours and the client money. I hope this feature will be added soon. If not... I guess I'd have to go back to Illustrator, which I hate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, ra.skill said:

Did you all see that a “Pattern Fill” function has been added to Affinity Photo in the 1.9 update!!!

Grrrrr why for photo and not designer!??

Hopefully it will come across soon. 
Still waiting on my Adobe free future. 

Hi @ra.skill

Why are you posting three times the exact same text that does not add anything to the discussion? This is close to spam 🙄

In case you haven't noticed the data merge layout tool in APub can be used as a replacement for vector pattern fill. It has not exactly the same features like APh's pattern fill layers but it works pretty good.

Cheers,
d.

I created a first map using pixel patterns. The result looks ok as long as you don't have to share the file with someone else, and that you don't decide to change the pattern color at the last moment. It helps, but it can definitely not replace vector patterns. I was disappointed as well with this new release and I hope this feature will be added soon. Like really soon.

On 2/7/2021 at 11:15 PM, dominik said:

Hi @ra.skillWhy are you posting three times the exact same text that does not add anything to the discussion? This is close to spam 🙄

@dominik just informing others who are requesting this feature as it may be helpful to them. Sadly this feature in AP is not useful to me and others wanting vector patterns. 

On 2/7/2021 at 11:15 PM, dominik said:

In case you haven't noticed the data merge layout tool in APub can be used as a replacement for vector pattern fill. It has not exactly the same features like APh's pattern fill layers but it works pretty good.

Yes I’m aware of the data merge function but honestly it’s complicated, not user friendly and lacks features.

Appreciate your constructive discussion. 
cheers

1 hour ago, ra.skill said:

Yes I’m aware of the data merge function but honestly it’s complicated, not user friendly and lacks features.

Quite agree.

Why isn't this frankly essential function already implemented in the product in a simple and straightforward form?

There are just so many uses of vector pattern fills that cannot be substituted by any other function. It is an absolutely essential feature for me to even think of using this otherwise excellent product, and I'm sure others will be in the same position. Without it all of the other excellent functionality is just wasted.

1 hour ago, Comet said:

Quite agree.

Why isn't this frankly essential function already implemented in the product in a simple and straightforward form?

There are just so many uses of vector pattern fills that cannot be substituted by any other function. It is an absolutely essential feature for me to even think of using this otherwise excellent product, and I'm sure others will be in the same position. Without it all of the other excellent functionality is just wasted.

100% agree!

Im not gona moan cos I think Affinity are doing an excellent job... forced myself to use publisher this week instead of ID and I’m so in love!!!! The workflow, the simplicity, the modern design, the uncluttered feel. Affinity will be my future for sure. 

As soon as Vector Pattern Fills, Vector Brushes and a measuring tool that does curves (come on this one is so friggin simple) become available You can sign me up for life and I’ll boot Adobe out the door!

8 hours ago, ra.skill said:

Hi @ra.skill,

out of interest why do you consider it complicated? To me it is easy to use. Are you referring to the fact that one has to make shure to place everything inside the Data Merge Grid?

In regard to the lack of features I am with you. Currently this 'workaround' is limited to rectangle shaped layouts and we cannot create different symmetries from 90 degrees.

But in regard to performance it behaves very responsive.

Cheers,
d.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 10:25 AM, MEB said:

Hi jc4d,
Currently there's no specific tools to fill objects with vector patterns however you can use symbols help you achieve a similar result - you only have to edit the symbol to update all the instances of it in the project. To learn more about symbols check this video tutorial:  Symbols.

I've tried using symbols to make patterns as well, and they are very powerfull indeed, but you're still 'building' your pattern by hand. The whole point of a pattern is that it repeats on its own.

+1 for vector patterns